User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wintersf
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 21:43:42
Print Post

FTTC capped at 40Mbps?

[link to this post]

Just had my fibre installed today and what a difference it is compared to the 2.5Mbps that I had on ADSL. To my surprise the line was rated and has connected at full 80/20 speed even though the initial guestimate from BT was 55/16.
Running speed tests I am only getting around 40/16 is there something that Plusnet need to change at their end to enable the full 80Mb download speed? The fastest speed test I have had is 42Mbps download.
On the portal it is showing line speed as 78Mb.
This is on a wired conection so wireless is not an issue. Speed test was http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk. I also have the pro add-on so less likely that it should be throttled.

Anyone got any ideas of what needs done.

Almost seems a bit odd asking for more speed having just moved from 2.5 to 40Mbps but would rather have the full 80Mbps now I know the line can take it.

Thanks
Fraser
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:14:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC capped at 40Mbps?

[re: wintersf] [link to this post]

Please can you post the contents of the two text boxes of results from the BT Performance Test. The Diagnostic option is what you need to run.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User wintersf
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:40:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Speedtester results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 71.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wintersf
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:41:18
Print Post

So this is showing more what I would have expected.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:50:47
Print Post

I suggest you read the little box at the top of mybroadbandspeed which begins "Sorry".

It is known that particularly for fibre users the results are dubious.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User wintersf
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:07:55
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I read that but the thinkbroadband tester is not giving good results and neither is the file download from thinkbroadband test files.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:14:55
Print Post

Our flash tester is perfectly capable of going well beyond the FTTC speeds in the UK. We will be 5% slower than most other testers due to the use of 1024.
Also we monitor our network and know that the download file server is not maxing out its capacity or any of the links where the data leaves our network.

Some people if their RWIN is set lot or is very slow to ramp up may get slower results from our tester, which our display of an average value can make things look worse. Hence the display of the graph so you can see if your throughput is all over the place.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wintersf
(experienced) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:27:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought it was capable of showing the speeds of FTTC which is why when your tester and the mybroadband speed tester were showing low it may be something on my profile at Plusnet side.

Fraser
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:29:02
Print Post

The tbb java speed test gives rubbish upstream results, but the downstream should be fine. The tbb Flash tester should be comparable with speedtest.net results.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Dec-12 23:35:02
Print Post

"Our flash tester is perfectly capable of going well beyond the FTTC speeds in the UK"

Which is what i said, we tend to give slightly slower results sometimes, but for well understood reasons. We have no capacity problems, and are in the middle of upgrades to ensure that even if 330 Meg products become popular we would be ok.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to