User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:12:43
Print Post

very high ping each night

[link to this post]

Not sure why but last night and again tonight i'm getting very high pings from about 8pm to 11pm.

I'm on FTTC and using the supplied router (technicolour tg582n). Nothing has changed that i know of. Any idea what might be causing it?

Check in my sig.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:30:08
Print Post

Re: very high ping each night

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

I don't get it that bad, but there is very poor latency every evening, even when I'm out and the computer is sleeping. So there is no traffic initiated by it.

Having said that, tonight is better than usual. (See sig as well).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 13-Dec-12 15:16:44
Print Post

We've been looking into a couple of similar graphs and haven't found any reasons for this yet. Can you let us know if the same happens tonight?

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 13-Dec-12 15:17:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What kind of ping are you seeing Robertos?

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Dec-12 15:30:47
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Not very bad Chris, just unexplained. For example Mon 10 Dec. Laptop lid down, which puts it to sleep, and we were out all evening from about 6pm. Current rolling 24 hours link in my sig. It has been happening for some time. I could perhaps trace back to when it started if that would help?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Corbula
(member) Thu 13-Dec-12 16:25:59
Print Post

Will do.

The BQM in my sig is a live one so you will be able to see on there as well.

Normally the ping is about 14ms but it goes up to about 148ms. I get the same when doing a ping in cmd the same as is showing in my BQM.

Standard User Corbula
(member) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:01:22
Print Post

Looks like there was a bit of activity but it didn't spike like it has the last two days.

Standard User vinnym70
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 21:22:07
Print Post

Seen this as well - pretty sluggish pings after 8pm, notably bad at 9pm onwards of an evening this week.
Tonight though (Friday), pings are great - it's not a killer but its highly noticeable - kind of glad it wasn't just me and/or the neighbours flashing xmas lights.
Standard User robzor
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 22:44:34
Print Post

[re: vinnym70] [link to this post]

I'm on normal Plus net Extra (the 60gb ADSL one), and had a chat with Plus net support yesterday night; for the last 3 weeks or so I have been noticing ping spikes in the evening as late as 1am starting around 8pm.

It's making online PC gaming very annoying when I get a random ping spike to 500ms for 30 secs - 1 min and then it going back to normal.

I've upgraded to unlimited and that goes live on the 27th so all fingers are crossed for then, but I am baffled why this problem has suddenly started happening out of nowhere :/

It's such a shame as my connection has been flawless and had amazing pings and sync speed of 20mb
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Thu 10-Jan-13 16:09:05
Print Post

[re: robzor] [link to this post]

Have you created a ping graph? If not it might be worth doing so http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1063... we'll then be able to see when your encountering the spikes, be interesting to see if moving to unlimited does make the difference?

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to