User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 10:32:04
Print Post

Want to join Plusnet...

[link to this post]

I am so excited that fibre is available at my post code after a long wait. It was so painful being on 3 Mbps for the last 17 months as I couldnt get VM cable at my new address.

I have been fishing around for the last couple of weeks and am happy to see a good unlimited package from PN.

I have been with VM national BB since August 2011. I believed it was a 12 month contract. However when I phoned their customer services couple of weeks ago I was told that I am on a 18 month contract.

My queries are:

1) How do I confirm that I was only on a 12 month contract with VM?

2) Can I place the order with PN first and then give termination notice to VM? [even if I am on 18 month contract as they say it should be over by end of Feb 13]

Edited by abhijack (Wed 19-Dec-12 10:33:33)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 19-Dec-12 11:32:00
Print Post

Re: Want to join Plusnet...

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abhijack:
1) How do I confirm that I was only on a 12 month contract with VM?

Difficult unless you have documentation from the time you took out the contract. Do you have any emails, etc, that refer to the contract term?
2) Can I place the order with PN first and then give termination notice to VM? [even if I am on 18 month contract as they say it should be over by end of Feb 13]

You will need a MAC from Virgin to place the order with Plusnet. I don't know how Virgin handle MAC requests - in theory you should be able to get one without actually giving notice to terminate the service, as you may end up not actually using the MAC. Once it is used you have effectively given notice to terminate, but you should do so to Virgin in any case. Depending on your contract you may be liable to early termination charges from Virgin.

PS sent you a PM.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 19-Dec-12 11:49:51)

Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 11:53:00
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

thanks kasg for reply.
i checked the few emails VM had sent confirming my order and there is no mention of any contract in those.

i will ring them up for MAC code later today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Wed 19-Dec-12 12:07:15
Print Post

You'll have to see if you can find a copy of their minimum contract terms at the time. I had a look at the T&C at the time (link) and all it says is "If you move from your home during or after the minimum period and wish to transfer your services to your new property you will have to re-contract for a further minimum period which will commence when the services are activated." but doesn't say how long this minimum period is. The order page (link) says "All new connections are subject to a 12 month minimum term when you buy online." but it's anyone's guess if that applies to your order. You may want to see other dates on the same site - that is just the last one they have 18 months before next February.
edit - I misread the OP thinking you had moved home and so you had been put on a new minimum terms. Anyway, the notes and old VM pages still apply - it did say 12 months for new orders online, but if you ordered by phone they may have given you different terms and "forgot" to mention them in any confirmation emails.

Edited by Uilebheist (Wed 19-Dec-12 12:11:34)

Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 12:29:02
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

thanks a lot..
i had moved home but this wass a totally new order. I was on cable at my previous address which I couldnt get at my new one unfortunately.

I did order over phone but dont remember exactly about the contract period being discussed. And definitely its not mentioned in any of the confirmation emails or on th first bill.

I will try to use that link you provided plus the fact that its not mentioned in any of their correspondences to me. But in the worst case scenario its only a month as I need to give a months notice anyway.

And I think I had a post yday saying there is some increase in price for some service. I will check it again and if its an increase in price I guess I can use that to get out.

I am too keen to get on PN being based in Yorkshire myself!!

Edited by abhijack (Wed 19-Dec-12 12:29:54)

Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Dec-12 12:42:49
Print Post

Beware of virgin media charged might applied to you, it happen to me when they told me there is no contract and a month later I recieved letter to pay £127 fee! Virgin Media is a liar bunch of company.

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-a...

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:01:29
Print Post

if its an increase in price I guess I can use that to get out.
Not if it is not detrimental, i.e. below RPI.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:45:41
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I have orderded Plusnet Fibre unlimted .. Got an engineer appointment on 02/01/2013.

Have phoned VM and requested MAC code although it was never asked during the order process by PN. I presume I should ring PN and give the MAC code when I get it by email.

VM says I am on an 18 month contract . However it ends eary February 2013 and hence they wont charge me anything. By the way I was with them for 4 1/2 years now . ( 3 years cable and 1 1/2 years natonal BB) ..

Hope the engineer turns on the right date...smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:49:11
Print Post

Have phoned VM and requested MAC code although it was never asked during the order process by PN. I presume I should ring PN and give the MAC code when I get it by email.
Yes. Otherwise the migration will not happen.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 18:16:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to