User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Mon 24-Dec-12 16:00:22
Print Post

Any Good?

[link to this post]

Hello All,

I'm currently with Virgin Media on their 100MB service.

There are now more ISP's providing 'fibre broadband' in my area one of which is PlusNet.

I'm just after recommendations as to whether to consider moving to PlusNet. The Virgin service has been on the whole quite good, however I have had several outages this year and I have noticed buffering when trying to use services like Netflix, youtube, NowTV. I have tried all the usual things like using a wired connection, diferent devices etc. I believe that cable can be a bit 'laggy' with thinkgs like gaming, streaming etc?

Was just wondering if there are any additional things like storage, security, webspace provided in the package?

Cheers

John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Dec-12 18:23:55
Print Post

Re: Any Good?

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

I have noticed buffering when trying to use services like Netflix, youtube, NowTV. I have tried all the usual things like using a wired connection, diferent devices etc. I believe that cable can be a bit 'laggy' with thinkgs like gaming, streaming etc?
The VM cable service is a bit the same as the FTTC service that Plusnet offer in the way it is laid out at the customer end.

Neither provide cable all the way to you, even though Virgin like you to think they do. It is fibre to a Virgin node, or to an Openreach FTTC cabinet. Then Virgin use co-ax cable to their smaller distribution cabinets and onward to you, and Openreach use the existing "BT" phone wires from the cabinet to you.

The ways the data is passed over the fibre and the wires are totally different.

Cable is not inherently laggy for anything. It is just the same as with ordinary ADSLx broadband - it depends how much capacity per customer the ISP provides. The sort of problems you are getting are down simply to Virgin not providing enough capacity in your area.

Plusnet do not have any allowance limit on their unlimited package, nor do they throttle anyone down to a low speed for P2P at any specific time. They used to, like many ISPs, but that was ditched on 19 December with the new packages.

However they do use traffic management, designed to avoid the troubles you have. Gaming, VOIP, iPlayer type streaming are given priority over P2P in a flexible sort of way. The best thing is for you to read this explanation.

IIRC they do provide McAfee free, but anyone using that is crackers. What IS system do you use now?

They don't provide web space, but they do provide email. I don't believe in any ISP's provision of either, as in general it is an add-on just to keep people happy. I think it is far better to get these yourself, and then your web space email address carry on unchanged whenever you migrate between ISPs. Have a read of this page. (The numbers are a tiny bit out at the moment, but follow the link on that page to get to the site for the latest).

Re Plusnet themselves, I used to rate them quite poorly a couple of years ago and earlier. That opinion has completely reversed.

I wanted FTTC when it came to my area, but I was on O2 LLU and they don't do it. I moved to IDNet for FTTC in Feb 20111 because of their reputation. That was fine but expensive, so I held my breath and moved to Plusnet in February this year. I got more for considerably less. I have not regretted it for a minute.

Eleven months in, I have just upgraded to the new package, tieing myself in for another 18 months. 'Nuff said? (I am only a light user, no P2P, so you might want other opinions on that, but you don't see many complaints).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Tue 25-Dec-12 10:04:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response RobertoS.

I think that I will more than likely move to hosting for web space / email like you suggest. Just need to find a decent supplier of storage too as I get this as part of my package with Virgin at the moment.

Just another question regarding PlusNet. Does the supplied router have restricted firmware on it? I like to use my own LAN/DNS settings etc and the SuperHub supplied by Virgin is restricted.

Thanks

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Dec-12 10:55:58
Print Post

I believe the router is locked to Plusnet but I don't use mine. I have used it, and I've a feeling I altered the subnet. If no-one answers that here then I suggest a new thread asking about it, as it isn't obvious from the Subject you want to know that. GIve it a day or two though, most people will have other things on their mind at the moment.

What sort/usage of storage, and more importantly what quantity? Web space is basically just storage anyway and can used for archiving as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Dec-12 18:48:32
Print Post

It has Plusnet proprietary firmware to allow one of the LAN ports to be used as an input
However that shouldn't stop you changing those entries although you may have to use Telnet to do it
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Dec-12 03:52:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jw6520:
I'm just after recommendations as to whether to consider moving to PlusNet.

I was with Virgin and moved to Plusnet about a year ago.

I find the service itself compatible, but haven't been impressed by Plusnet's attitude to customer relations.

Plusnet win hands down on price though; VM weren't prepared to continue a "deal" we agreed and the price kept creeping up.

Downtime with Plusnet has been minimal, but I'd say generally ADSL is less stable than cable as connection drops quite regularly.

If you are lucky enough to have a "clean"/short phone line and you don't require much in the way of support, then changing might be worthwhile.

Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via Siemens Gigaset SE587
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Dec-12 15:12:44
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
I find the service itself compatible, but haven't been impressed by Plusnet's attitude to customer relations.
I find them the best I have ever been with. Demon, Freeserve, BT, Prodigynet, Newnet, O2 LLU (comparable), IDNet and now Plusnet.
Downtime with Plusnet has been minimal, but I'd say generally ADSL is less stable than cable as connection drops quite regularly.
Sounds like a line problem. Apart from an obvious fault on the e-side of my connection at one time with O2 I've never found ADSLx connections dropping regularly. There are people on these forums stay connected for months at a time.
If you are lucky enough to have a "clean"/short phone line and you don't require much in the way of support, then changing might be worthwhile.
See earlier in this post. Also, attenuation on ADSLx was 49-52dB.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Dec-12 15:52:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I find them the best I have ever been with.

Maybe I've just been unlucky?

Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via Siemens Gigaset SE587
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Dec-12 16:39:50
Print Post

That can happen. The thing is that every ISP gets things wrong now and then, and upsets a few people - it's inevitable, and then it can be very difficult to re-establish trust and co-operation. As in all walks of life.

My posting history includes considerable criticism of Plusnet, and so do some of my recent posts. But my opinion of them is still growing. Just the luck of the draw.

ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Wed 26-Dec-12 16:40:39
Print Post

Actually, you aren't helping yourself at all. I spent probably 4 hours attempting to work out what your issue was on Christmas eve and you aren't prepared to even explain what the problem is.

We can't help you if you don't tell us what's wrong.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to