User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Olly232
(member) Thu 27-Dec-12 22:50:00
Print Post

Poor download speed

[link to this post]

Last year I moved my Plusnet broadband account from my mother's house in Cheshire to ours in Whitby N Yorks. I took the original Thomson router with me. From day one the speed has been lower than I would have expected with frequent disconnections.

The router stats show a download attenuiation of 50db, Sn of 15db and a sync speed of 1.3Mb but sometimes dropping to about 800kb. I can sometimes get it to sync at about 1.8Mb but it soon drops the line and syncs at a slower speed.

There is no test socket as its quite an old installation. I have disconnected the ring wire but that made no difference.

Doing a line check via Samknows gives the following results:-

"According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support

up to 1Mbps via ADSL
1.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
3Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
Standard ADSL RAG results

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512kbps ADSL
You can receive 256kbps ADSL"

(Post code YO22 4DB)

Can anyone give me an opinion as to whether I should be getting better results or is it something I just have to accept?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Dec-12 22:54:03
Print Post

Re: Poor download speed

[re: Olly232] [link to this post]

Is there more than one telephone socket?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Olly232
(member) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:00:50
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

There are two sockets both with filters fitted. Where the line enters the house there is a small junction box with no socket.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:33:49
Print Post

Have you disconnected the ring wire in both? Which is the master, the one you use or the other? See these pics. The LJ 2/1A is a master, the LJ 2/3A an extension.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Olly232
(member) Fri 28-Dec-12 00:39:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

The ring wire is dissconnected from both sockets but I did it a while ago so I'll check that.

The LJ 2/1A Master socket is the one with the router connected. I'm away for a couple of days but I'll try some different filters and and old Netgear DG834 router I can borrow when I get back.

Do you think that I should be seeing a higher sync speed from the line stats I've got?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 09:38:00
Print Post

The issue is the noise margin of 15dB, and whatever has caused that. Please can we have the rest of the stats from your router, including the upstream and all the error stats. Best to copy and paste them rather than type them - typos often creep in and really matter in stats.

On 50dB attenuation you should connect at between 3Mbps and 5Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Olly232
(member) Fri 28-Dec-12 09:59:38
Print Post

Sorry I was trying to avoid making the original post too big. These are the stats I saved the other day. There appears to be lots of errors but I don't know what they mean or how bad it is.

Uptime: 0 days, 19:58:35
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 1,312
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 9.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 435 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 172,465
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 29,955
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 26,129

thanks for reading.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 10:26:18
Print Post

The only high number in the errors figure is the number of error seconds.

Please can you turn the router off for about five minutes, then on again, and as soon as it is all up and running give us a new full lot of stats. We need to see the noise margin asap after the restart, so we know its base figure smile.

Standard User Olly232
(member) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:23:53
Print Post

Thanks Bob. I'm away for a couple of days so I won't be able to post that info until I get back. Please don't think it rude of me for not replying until then. I've just followed the link to your web site and found a treasure trove of useful information which I will read and digest.

As an aside, when the phone line was installed many years ago by my Dad I was under the impresssion that it was some form of shared line as we could often hear other conversations in the background. I've not experienced that recently but then we tend to use mobile (cell) phones more often than not these days. Oh and we don't have any cordless phones connected.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:29:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Olly232:
There are two sockets both with filters fitted. Where the line enters the house there is a small junction box with no socket.

Is one socket fed from the other (daisy chain) or are they Tee'd off from the junction box ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to