User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:51:37
Print Post

Upgrade to Unlimited

[link to this post]

Quick questions around the new unlimited.

My parents are on a market 1 exchange currently on plusnet extra for £17.99 pm for 60GB. Given it is Xmas and a few other things they have 8GB left to last till 12/1 - they are gonna have to control themselves!

But, I notice the new unlimited on 12 month contract is £16.99. So, a few questions:

1) Is there anyway they can upgrade part way through the month to get the extra bandwidth to avoid them having to pay to get a few extra gigs to tide them over?
2) What happens at the end of the 12 months? Does it go up by £2.50? Does a new 12 month contract start? Or does it revert to the old short notice termination at the £16.99 price?
3) It says it is "2Mb". They currently get 4.5Mb on ADSL1 (20CN exchange). I assume the 2Mb is a notional/advertising rate for the line and it will continue to connect at whatever it can?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:56:48
Print Post

Re: Upgrade to Unlimited

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

1) No. (Frequently stated by the reps so definitely correct).

2) The price does not go up and yes it reverts to short notice. Whether or not that is still 10 days, or whether it is a full month hasn't been asked so far as I know. Probably not really a deal-breaker smile.

3) Yes, it will continue at the same speed as now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 12:06:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob, as ever a very helpful response.

Bit of a shame on 1 but it was what the site said - just hoped there was a way the nice people at plusnet might be able to change it - thing is they normally get nowhere near 60GB (largest previous month was 30GB) but with my brother getting some games for Xmas that had large downloads (one was 20GB) plus them using iPlayer a bit more over the last week they are getting perilously close.

Good news on 2 and 3 though. Think I will advise them tomorrow to upgrade so that they not only get it cheaper but don't have to worry about limits again.

And am strongly considering plusnet fibre when BT finally release my cabinet (exchange is accepting orders and cab was fibred a few months back with I think all work complete but can't yet order). Was with plusnet years ago and only moved on for ADSL2+ - but the prices for unlimited fibre are just too tempting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 12:18:15
Print Post

You probably know, but just in case you don't, they/you can log into their account and put the upgrade in through the Member Centre immediately. It just doesn't take effect until the next billing date. (12 Jan?). Safer than waiting and forgetting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 13:00:32
Print Post

Sorry, yes - thanks Bob. I will be seeing them tomorrow so if they are happy with the 1 year contract I will put the upgrade in then. It was only by going in and doing a dummy run this morning that I clicked that unlimited is actually cheaper than their current package - plusnet's pricing is a little murky in most places for M1 exchanges and always takes me a little while to work out...
Standard User atsw
(experienced) Fri 28-Dec-12 19:04:33
Print Post

Hi Bob, Quick question in relation to the one asked by the OP. I'm on 'Extra' at the moment, with an uncapped u/s of 888 (uncapped at my request earlier this year). I move to Unlimited on 1/1/13. Do you know if the u/s speed will drop back to 448 when I switch, meaning I'll need to request the removal of the cap again, or will the uncapped 888 carry forward?

Also, I have a static IP at the moment, I'm assuming that will carry forward (not worried if it's a different static IP, just needs to be static!).

Thanks

Andrew

PlusNet - Extra smile
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Dec-12 21:13:13
Print Post

[re: atsw] [link to this post]

Upload speed shouldn't change although there have been a few reports where it has but nobody knows why - I think that there is a problem raised on it
Static IP should also carry on a normal - mine did

Edited by Oldjim (Fri 28-Dec-12 21:13:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 23:20:06
Print Post

[re: atsw] [link to this post]

As Oldjim says, and adding re the static IP address that if that does get lost, which it shouldn't, they have said a few times they will reinstate one with no trouble or cost.

Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Sat 29-Dec-12 00:00:25
Print Post

Hi Ian,

I think most packages are the same whereby you can set a limit on the amount extra to spend once the allowance is breached. £5 per 5GB is the going rate I think. You could however set this to zero so as not to spend any extra cash, and when the limit is reached the speed will be capped at 256 Kbps, not great, but will still allow general surfing / emails etc without much of a problem, although some services are blocked (binary usenet, p2p and external FTP).

This URL on the help site explains things pretty well.

Mike.

Plusnet Extra Fibre
My Broadband Ping
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Dec-12 08:35:03
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

Hi Mike. Yes, I have it set to 0 extra but that 256Kb won't do them much good - but at least we can control how much extra it costs. Just a shame you can't upgrade to what is a cheaper product mid month - but I guess it is because they decided to program their systems to stop this from happening.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to