User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 13:59:04
Print Post

Plusnet IP problems and streaming

[link to this post]

I have been having a problem for a while now were it seems, some plusnet IP address I have been given from a pool, of dynamic ip address, won't let me watch a certain stream of news I watch online.

I watch skynews live online from it's website. I have been making a note of the IP I have been given for the last few days. When I go to watch skynews live, I get a pre-recorded video and a message basically saying, I’m not from the UK.

The last time I had this problem, was about six years ago and it turned out that the IP addresses given by the isp, where not properly registered, that is why they would not work with most streaming videos, like skynews.

I never had this problem with my last isp so it’s not my end. Also I seem to get quite a bit of buffering on the high setting. To medium and low is ok but was not a problem before with old isp.

See here and if other PN users who are on dynamic IP, would like to test it as well.
http://news.sky.com/ Click on, “watch sky news live” at the top and it will open a pop up window. It will be on high setting unless you change it.

This is a snapshot of what I get when I have an IP from plusnet, that does not work. If you get this, then you have the same problem as me, with a bad PN IP.

http://s6.postimage.org/skc0n2sg1/Sky_news_region_pr...

These two at the moment are the ones that won't work, for the reasons I stated above.

If a PN rep replies, I can send them the full IP’s in a PM, so they can do some more testing or remove the Ip addresses.

31.185.***.**

146.90.***.**

The IP address I have today, starts with 87 and is working fine.

So could PN please sort this IP problem out and the buffering issue? Thanks smile

Plusnet Extra Fibre.
Welcome to BT-Plusnet. laugh wink
http://s6.postimage.org/seoi8bcsh/BT_plusnet_logo_2_...

Old isp.
My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test

Edited by superspeed (Sun 30-Dec-12 14:06:10)

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 30-Dec-12 14:44:08
Print Post

Re: Plusnet IP problems and streaming

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

A quick look up on the RIPE database show that these address ranges are properly registered and were assigned to Plusnet years ago... in other words, Sky have no excuse.
(in the the 31.185.***.** range, you should only see 32 to 47 or 128 to 255 as the third octet; the rest are variously assigned to places like Russia, Denmark, Germany, Bosnia and Italy, and not to Plusnet or any other UK provider - but the registration looks correct from other evidence, i.e. a traceroute to 31.185.1.X goes definitely to Russia so it's not a case of forgotten update to the database).
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 20:21:08
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply. A pity Plusnet could not of replied. So are you saying it's a problem at skynews end? If so, how can we contact sky about this then?

Problem is, I may get one of them IP's again. So can anyone tell me how I can change IP address with PN, without having to keep switching off my router?

And no, I don't want a static IP or will I pay for one. smile

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.

Edited by superspeed (Sun 30-Dec-12 20:34:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 21:00:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
And no, I don't want a static IP or will I pay for one. smile
When everything goes IPv6 you won't get the option. Also as I understand it, every device will have one, no NAT. They're coming to get you ....

You do know it's only a one-off £5? Not pounds per month like some ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Dec-12 21:10:34)

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 30-Dec-12 21:58:03
Print Post

Thanks for reply. A pity Plusnet could not of replied. So are you saying it's a problem at skynews end? If so, how can we contact sky about this then?

Yes, I'm saying it's Sky not keeping their data up to date - and by the sound of it being years behind.
Not sure what you can do about that - it would be better if Plusnet gave them a wee reminder that these IPs are assigned to them and stop blocking their customers thank you.
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 22:47:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Going IPV6 is a little way off yet. It's not very good either, as they failed to make it backwards compatible with IPV4. Thats why is has had a very slow uptake.

IPV4 will be around for a very long time, as we all have stuff that still uses IPV4. smile

Well even if it is only five quid, still don't want a static IP. tongue
It still don't answer my question, if I can change IP without turning the router off.

Someone must know some command or something that could change it. Anyway called PN in the end and they don't believe you can change it any other way.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 30-Dec-12 22:50:39
Print Post

It still don't answer my question, if I can change IP without turning the router off.

That depends on your router. You may be able to disconnect and reconnect which would drop the PPP session and then restart it without losing sync or rebooting/powering off. This would likely give you a different IP address.
Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 22:52:56
Print Post

Thanks. smile
Well lets hope a Plusnet rep can pop in tomorrow, if it's not to much bother and send skynews an email, to ask them to sort it out.

The buffering problem though, is still at plusnets end, as far as I can see. Just hope that new unlimited fibre is not stealing to much of my bandwidth.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.

Edited by superspeed (Sun 30-Dec-12 23:06:48)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 22:57:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:

That depends on your router. You may be able to disconnect and reconnect which would drop the PPP session and then restart it without losing sync or rebooting/powering off. This would likely give you a different IP address.

If you mean the disconnect and reconnect button in the UI, then I have that. The problem is blasted DLM. Keep doing that may cause my speed to drop again.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 23:00:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You do know it's only a one-off £5? Not pounds per month like some ISPs.

If you wanted a static IP it was a freebie when I started with madasafish (Brightview days) and it still is for me ....... can't speak for others though tongue

Alastair

omadasafisho 20CN
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to