User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Sun 30-Dec-12 19:55:57
Print Post

Old F9 ADSL account now upgraded to ADSL2+ issue

[link to this post]

My sister has been with F9 since the year dot, having noticed that their exchange had been 21CN I phoned Plus Net to get their package moved over to one of the ADSL2+ packages. This gave them better speed and more bandwidth & £2 a month cheaper. What could possibly go wrong..

This was done on 27th December, but she is still getting the same speed as she did with her ADSL+ account. The cabinet it 18 yards away from her house, and according to the BT Wholesale she should be getting 19/20mb. I can confirm she has a ADSL2+ enabled router.

The router is only synching at 3mb, and 400k up. I located the BT master socket in her loft (It's a 18th century cottage) and plugged the router straight in - but still only 3mb. On the plusnet website, it says she is syncd at 21mb!

Guy from Plusnet said as it's still in the 10 day setup nothing they can do.... I think he's talking rubbish..

Any ideas?
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Dec-12 20:29:07
Print Post

Re: Old F9 ADSL account now upgraded to ADSL2+ issue

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

Not strictly speaking talking rubbish - just being a bit economical with the truth - in the 10 day training period they can't raise a fault with BT
Can you post the stats from the router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin - this may give some hints as with a 3Mb 20CN speed you wouldn't get much better on 21CN ADSL2+
The Plusnet website doesn't give the sync speed it gives the IP profile reduced by a bit and when first moved over she would have been put on the 21Mb default which will change once they receive the Delta report from BTw
To finish the distance to the Cab isn't really relevant - it is total line length to the exchange
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Sun 30-Dec-12 20:53:38
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Her cabinet is 500m from the Exchange according to SamKnows.
I can't get router stats at the moment.
Here's what BT Wholesale site says for her number:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 21:19:35
Print Post

The contents of the results text boxes from the Diagnostic button on the BT Performance Tester would be helpful. That's http://speedtester.bt.com

If you can talk her through running it, then the most important bit is
Download speed achieved during the test was - 32.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 76.63 Mbps
Different values of course!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Dec-12 21:33:28
Print Post

I assume that when you plugged it into the master socket that was into the front faceplate
You need to plug it into the test socket behind the lower half and this should disable all the other phone sockets in the house (you could check to see if there are wires connected to the removed lower part of the faceplate) and see what the stats are
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 23:33:36
Print Post

Given that information from the BTw line checker, if she was only getting 3MB before she was moved to 21CN it looks like her line was already faulty and it's nothing to do with being moved across.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:16:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Small update. Master socket is in the loft - plugged router direct into the test socket, and it sync'd at 7mb
However speedtest.net gave me 2.6mb connection. Tried to phone plus.net to get them to run their tests but after 40 minutes waiting - gave up. They came back today with:

"CIDT FAULT - HIGH RESISTANCE IMBALANCE DETECTED

Your router is currently syncing at 3140kbps with a speed profile of 2600kbps.
The copper line test has failed with 'high resistance' on the line near or in the premises."

They want us to get up in the loft again so they can run tests - I can only get over there at weekends at best - is it looking like it's BT Wholesale that need to visit? Would she benefit in having the master socket moved from the loft down into the lounge where the router lives?
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:43:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by jroadley:
Would she benefit in having the master socket moved from the loft down into the lounge where the router lives?

I would have thought so. Aside from being much more convenient, lofts can get damp, and master sockets don't much like moisture. Very odd for them to have installed it there, unless it's a loft conversion.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by jroadley:
is it looking like it's BT Wholesale that need to visit?
If anyone it would be Openreach. That's the engineering division.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 19:02:47
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

So after many calls we are getting a BT Openreach engineer tomorrow. Booked for a 1-6pm appointment - quick question - do they call to say what time they will be with you????
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to