User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 11:28:35
Print Post

Queries about PN's phone prior considering it please!!

[link to this post]

I'm currently an O2 broadband user with BT landline! Their current PN's offer for "unlimited" Fibre BB with their phone package looks very attractive to be ignored. However, apart from the18-months contracting issues after signing , would I be able to:

1) keep my existing BT's phone number if I choose to apply on-line?

2) switch my PN phone line to other Broadband ISPs who require only BT phone line instead? Is there any penalty involved such as needing a NEW BT's line would cost me addition BT phone line charges etc?

3) what is the "quality" of PN's phone line compared to BT's, including their Customer Services?? I know that BT's one is currently in India with "bad" reputation.

3) Is PN's phone line rental is cheaper than BT as well??

Thanks for your comments

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Jan-13 12:15:53
Print Post

Re: Queries about PN's phone prior considering it please!!

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

Another thing to consider is if you take PN Phone you save £50 for fibre installation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 12:23:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
1) keep my existing BT's phone number if I choose to apply on-line?

Yes.
2) switch my PN phone line to other Broadband ISPs who require only BT phone line instead? Is there any penalty involved such as needing a NEW BT's line would cost me addition BT phone line charges etc?

You could switch the phone line away from Plusnet after fulfilling any contractual obligations. Why would you need a new line?

3) what is the "quality" of PN's phone line compared to BT's, including their Customer Services?? I know that BT's one is currently in India with "bad" reputation.

The "quality" of the phone line is identical - it's the same kit! You would only have to deal with Sheffield, which is an advantage in my book, but ultimately Plusnet is at the mercy of Openreach to actually get any problems fixed, same as any other provider that uses BT Wholesale services.
3) Is PN's phone line rental is cheaper than BT as well??

A bit, but there's not a lot in it. You need to compare the full package deal, inclusive calls, call charges, etc. You can save by paying 12 months up front but I think BT offers this as well.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Tue 01-Jan-13 12:24:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Jan-13 12:48:35
Print Post

... would I be able to:
2) switch my PN phone line to other Broadband ISPs who require only BT phone line instead?
In the context of ISPs requiring "a BT line", that refers to a BT Openreach WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) line. So no problem.

I don't know if it is still the case, but in the past, although you could not get a PN line renatl without their broadband, if you subsequently migrated the broadband away you could keep the Plusnet line rental. Which, as I tried to explain above, would still count as "a BT line".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 15:20:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, that is one of the major factors of considering the PN's phone package including unlimited Fibre Broadband.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 15:35:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you, Robert!!
That means after completion of my "Contract" with PN, I could keep my PN's phone line with PN while I may migrate my Broadband to another ISPs who require a "BT phone line" in the future??

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jan-13 15:37:51
Print Post

One difference: if your phone line is faulty BT will give a free diversion of incoming calls to a mobile. Plusnet will do the divert but charge for the cost of the calls.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 16:00:23
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thank you for the info.. Is there any PN's specific phone-calls charges which are currently being supplied FREE for BT that I may need to consider?? Such as "auto-answers" , "Last No. called" etc???

Thanks

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Jan-13 16:33:47
Print Post

That means after completion of my "Contract" with PN, I could keep my PN's phone line with PN while I may migrate my Broadband to another ISPs who require a "BT phone line" in the future??
It means maybe smile. As I said, I don't know if PN still let you keep you phone line with them if you migrate the broadband away. They used to but you would be wise to check.

If they still do, then yes it counts as a "BT phone line" for other ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 18:04:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to