User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bob12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-13 17:40:50
Print Post

Unlimited any good

[link to this post]

Hi all

a few month back i was thinking of moving to the JL unlimited package ( stayed with current ISP), but now see PN do this at a lower cost JL

At the moment i am with the POST Office and get , line rental eve and weekend calls, unlimited bb ( very soft 100gb fup,) and caller display i currently pay £ 27.84 a month for this.

I see i can have PN half price for 12 month at 8.50 (m1) and line rental 10.50 (up front) and c/d 0.99 , making it 19..99 a month over 12 month, plus qudcio giving £ 70 quid cash back till tomorrow.

i have a couple of questions before i sign up ;

the bt adsl checker says i can get 3.5mb but i get the full 8128kbps sync, i assume the check is a guide only and switching would make no diffrence to sync?

i see everything runs a line speed , i do a bit of p2p and steaming, how are ppl finding the sevice so far?

why do PN switch bb first the phone , surely both can be done on the same day, why do they not offer this ?

also is the "PN current line speed" problem sorted yet, where it updates at BTs end but does not update in a timely fashion at PNs end?
many thanks

Edited by bob12345 (Tue 01-Jan-13 17:43:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Jan-13 17:54:48
Print Post

Re: Unlimited any good

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

You are correct in thinking the switch will make no difference to sync.

Unless!

If your exchange is WBC enabled you will get a higher sync. The Post Office doesn't go above 8Mbps as far as I know, even if higher is available. What does samknows say about your exchange?

I think the reason for switching the broadband first might be because there is a compulsory wait of a couple of weeks, (maybe more, I'm not sure), before lines can be switched, to give time for the losing CP to be informed it is to happen and to check with you that you have requested it. It's to prevent slamming, as if you say no you didn't, they can stop it.

The broadband however, with the MAC system, doesn't need to wait. It can be done as soon as it can be scheduled.

I expect if you want both to happen together then Plusnet could arrange the migration to wait for the phone line. If you do want that, I'd do the Quidco online order, get it tracked, then call PN and see if they can do that for you. I wouldn't be certain it wouldn't cause the cashback to fail though.

I'd let Plusnet's system just do its own thing smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Jan-13 17:58:49
Print Post

Re your edit, the current line speed works perfectly most of the time for most people. Nobody's going to post when it does, except as part of a reply to someone where it has failed.

It does still fail now and then frown. A phone call usually gets it sorted, or a post on the Community forum - which is more closely monitored by the (very good) reps than this one is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bob12345
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-13 19:25:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

many thanks for your time, unfortunately my exchange is only 20cn (ADSL Max), and does not look like changing any time soon.
Standard User bob12345
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 09:25:48
Print Post

Would migrating over to PN cause a 10 day training period on the line,?
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Wed 02-Jan-13 11:42:34
Print Post

Hi there,

Migrating a service doesn't involve downtime so there shouldn't be any need for the line to retrain.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bob12345
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 20:10:31
Print Post

PN rep - move bb and phone at same time?

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

to a pn rep

do you offer to move both phone and bb at the same time ?, where possible, such is my case,i have phone and bb with post office (20cn) exchange

when looking at the sign up, it wants to move my bb first then phone, is there somewhere during signup i can request both move on same dayt ? ( want to do it online so i get my cashback smile)

every other potential ISP say they can move phone and bb at same time

thank you smile

Edited by bob12345 (Wed 16-Jan-13 20:18:32)

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 17-Jan-13 09:28:27
Print Post

Re: PN rep - move bb and phone at same time?

Hi there,

If you want both moved at the same time we can do it, but as this is a straight migration rather than involving any LLU services the only way we'd be able to do that is by doing a working line takeover. That would involve a change of phone number unfortunately, and the broadband while it should be on the same day could still be up to 24 hours after the phone. There'd also be a 2 week lead time on that, plus Sim orders can unfortunately fail on occasion which would mean the phone would work but we'd need to reorder the broadband so another 5-7 working days.

So yes, it could be done, but it'd probably be easier to migrate them one after the other - it'd take about the same time overall, but would mean you keep your phone number and there's also less risk of complications or delays.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:51:24
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

That sounds odd. So you are saying it's possible to do a same-day switchover of both phone and broadband for MPF whilst keeping the number, but not for SMPF or BTw? Why would that be?

Oliver.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Thu 17-Jan-13 12:37:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I've done just such a switchover two weeks ago: phone Be WLR to AAISP WLR; broadband Be SMPF to AAISP 21CN. No issues. And the phone number is unchanged (not that I really care as I don't use it for calls). That would imply it is possible.
They offered to do broadband first, and phone two weeks later, but they were happy to do both on the same day when I asked for that.
I'm a bit surprised Plusnet cannot do the same. Maybe we are talking about a different switchover?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to