User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:44:35
Print Post

Router/modem on off & DLM effects

[link to this post]

Right I would like to get this settled once and for all. A lot of confusion and conflicting advice given. This is to do with FTTC, not ADSL.

To start. When Iím not using my router, I like to turn it off. Always done it and never had a problem before. This is only once a day normally.

I have been advised in the past that turning my router off won't affect my line. I have been advised to leave my modem on, as that syncs up with the cabinet and exchange, not the router.

I also have been told that so long as you don't switch your router off more than about, three times a day, then DLM should not see it as a problem.

Today I asked about disconnecting the red Ethernet cable and have been told, that disconnecting the cable from the wan port, would be the same as switching your router off and will register as a disconnection at the exchange. That will trigger DLM and can slow me down.

So what is correct?

Plusnet Extra Fibre.
Welcome to BT-Plusnet. laugh wink
http://s6.postimage.org/seoi8bcsh/BT_plusnet_logo_2_...

Old isp.
My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test

Edited by superspeed (Wed 02-Jan-13 17:48:00)

Standard User ferretuk
(learned) Wed 02-Jan-13 18:01:29
Print Post

Re: Router/modem on off & DLM effects

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

As suggested here, this would be better posted in the 'Fibre Broadband' section as both the question and answers are pertinent to many providers?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 18:21:39
Print Post

It depends what your red cable is connected between.

So long as the modem stays powered up, and is physically connected to the VDSL faceplate (or the data extension connector), then you are fine. This connection is normally an RJ11 lead, but I've seen people indicate that the socket can actually accept an RJ45 lead.

If you power down the router, or remove the cable between router & modem (which is what I think you are referring to), then you will lose the PPP connection to your ISP. This cable ought to be an RJ45 cable - so is probably your red one (mine is yellow, so the colour doesn't help identify anything).

Plusnet's in-house connection monitoring tools will see this as a disconnection, because they cannot distinguish PPP disconnections from a resync. However, the Openreach cabinet, and more importantly DLM, will not see this as a disconnection of the VDSL2 sync.

There is no real downside, except...

If you have problems in future, Plusnet will use their in-house tools to try to troubleshoot the problem, and may be fooled by seeing the PPP disconnections. They'll ask you to leave both modem & router switched on & connected, and may therefore be a bit slower at trying to diagnose what the *real* problem is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:03:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

If you power down the router, or remove the cable between router & modem (which is what I think you are referring to), then you will lose the PPP connection to your ISP. This cable ought to be an RJ45 cable - so is probably your red one (mine is yellow, so the colour doesn't help identify anything).

Yes that is what I mean. It's like this setup. http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//classificat...

You must have ADSL as that is what plusnet sends with it. Red is for fibre. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/techn...

When I have disconnected my router, PN says it shows up as a line drop. They can't tell if it's me switching off the router of a natural drop. So that is also affecting my speeds to a point.

So does that mean PN's in=house tools are much stricter than BT's? I think some of the PN staff are in need of some training. They all say different things.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.

Edited by superspeed (Wed 02-Jan-13 20:11:17)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:08:15
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I don't think this will be suitable to go there. Thats why I posted it in PN forum but some information may still be relevant to others.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.

Edited by superspeed (Wed 02-Jan-13 20:08:38)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:26:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by superspeed:
When I have disconnected my router, PN says it shows up as a line drop. They can't tell if it's me switching off the router of a natural drop. So that is also affecting my speeds to a point.
Plusnet see it as a PPP drop whether the line remains in sync or not.
This won't affect the speeds
If you want to do a quick check look at the lights on the modem - they won't be affected when the router is unplugged so there isn't a line drop
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:36:38
Print Post

It all depends really. The ISP will see it as a drop in the session so to them it's a disconnection. Certainly on Sky when I was turning the router off and on (around 3 times in a couple of hours) I got put on a higher interleaving depth and lost 7Mbps of sync speed. After around 2 weeks of leaving everything on it went back to normal.

I think the best advice that can be given is to just leave it on.

Technically it shouldn't affect things but certainly the router can impact the line management. We have seen plenty of occasions where using a different router has made the line sync much slower with no explanation why & the line management has kicked in randomly. Nobody seems to know the true extent of the management on FTTC as far as I'm concerned.

If you're leaving the modem on it makes no sense to turn the router off?! It's silly and you will save probably around 10 / 20p on a monthly bill. Especially considering most routers have power saving mode when not in use (which essentially means they use barely anything).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 02-Jan-13 20:37:22)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:48:16
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Yes, the power light and the DSL light stay lit when I disconnect my router from the modem.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.
Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:53:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I don't switch my router off that many times normally in an hour. Only once but if I have problems like I have been having, it maybe twice.

I have always turned it off and for security. No way am I leaving my computer connected to the web 24/7. Power is getting more expensive and it's a waste of energy but I know what you are saying.

Edit why not? isnt the modem what makes the link with the FTTC and exchange?

Could a PN rep please confirm what you would do.

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.

Edited by superspeed (Wed 02-Jan-13 20:57:42)

Standard User superspeed
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:55:09
Print Post

Just found this on PN website but don't say how much will cause a problem.

. Leave your router switched on
Leaving your router on will make sure you get the best speed and performance from your service.

Donít switch it off at night! Regularly switching off your router can make it look like your service is disconnecting. If this happens, your broadband speed will be reduced because the exchange thinks your line is unstable and canít cope with higher speeds. Speed reductions are never permanent, but it can take up to 3 days before your speeds return to normal.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/sp...

Plusnet Extra Fibre.

Old isp.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to