User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_KELRaTH
(committed) Thu 03-Jan-13 15:58:18
Print Post

Just ordered Fibre Unlimited

[link to this post]

Ordered it all a few hours ago, paid for 1yr line rental, and have an engineer date of 11/1

I contacted TalkTalk Business beforehand and got the Mac code over the phone then used it to complete the order. I then got a Mac confirmation email from TalkTalk where it says on using my service with terminate immediately.

Does anybody know at what point would PlusNet actually use the Mac code?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:09:24
Print Post

Re: Just ordered Fibre Unlimited

[re: The_KELRaTH] [link to this post]

They won't if you are moving from TT Full LLU.
on using my service with terminate immediately
What is that meant to say?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Thu 03-Jan-13 21:48:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
They won't if you are moving from TT Full LLU.
on using my service with terminate immediately
What is that meant to say?
The answer depends on when TT regard the MAC code as being used. This could be the time that the service is transferred from them. - rather than the time that the OP advises Plusnet of the MAC code or when Plusnet requisition the line change from BT.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 22:02:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

An ISP is only notified of the use of a MAC when the associated migration completes. It is not notified when it is submitted by the user to the new ISP, nor when the new ISP passes it to Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:38:09
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The answer depends on when TT regard the MAC code as being used.
No, the point is that MACs are not needed or used when migrating from Full LLU. MACs are only pertinent to BT WLR phone lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User abhijack
(newbie) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:43:41
Print Post

[re: The_KELRaTH] [link to this post]

Lucky guy that you got an engineer date within 8 days of your order.

I ordered on 19.12.12 and got engineer date for 7/1/13..Hmmm...
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Fri 04-Jan-13 07:33:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An ISP is only notified of the use of a MAC when the associated migration completes. It is not notified when it is submitted by the user to the new ISP, nor when the new ISP passes it to Openreach.

Well, that's interesting. I received my MAC on Dec 20th, I applied on Dec 21st for Fibre broadband, I was quoted earlier this week an 'engineer date' on Jan 21st (though I've questioned why BTO need to visit at all for an FTTC-FTTC migration ?).

Doesn't the MAC expire on Jan 20th ? In which case what will actually happen ?

I know we've had a Christmas break, that's knocked three or four working days out of the equation, but PN do seem to have been painfully slow with my application.

I received a letter on Dec 31st (dated Dec 24th) asking for my MAC, despite giving it at sign up (the sales bloke read it back to me to confirm)

Also, I received an e mail on Dec 21st, confirming half price Broadband for 6 months, yet my DD advance notice, received yesterday, states 19:99/m, i.e full price. I raised a ticket to question what on earth is going on. I've seen no progress at all, on my application for PN's phone service, also applied for on Dec 21st

All in all, I'm rather luke warm about the whole PN experience so far !

Edit 09:08hrs :-

Just received SMS from Plusnet, saying FTTC service should be complete by end on Jan 23rd (three days after the MAC expires ?)

Edited by broadbandjockey (Fri 04-Jan-13 09:08:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 09:27:37
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

The MAC expiry date refers to the date by which it must be submitted to Openreach by the new ISP with a migration order. It's nothing to do with the date the migration takes place, following that. So you could order using it quite happily on Day 29. See this page for more detail.

In any case, as has been said more than once in this thread, a move from Full LLU does not technically need a MAC. Moves from full LLU are also a messy procedure, prone to going wrong down to no fault of the gaining ISP. That's one of the major problems with going there in the first place. But of course, the Full LLU companies don't splash that all over their adverts when persuading you to move to them.

An FTTC to FTTC migration does not need an engineer visit, (except perhaps when joining BT Infinity which is a managed install including connection of the BT Home Hub), but I'd be very surprised if any ISP yet has a relevant field in their ordering system to prevent mention of it in initial communications. Even if told by phone during a telephoned order.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 04-Jan-13 09:34:02)

(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:55:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Although my current provider is Talk Talk I'm not on their LLU and my speed is of the old ADSL 8mb/1mb BT service. They've been asking me for years if I'd switch to their LLU but I was wary of the possible issues switching back.
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:04:08
Print Post

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abhijack:
Lucky guy that you got an engineer date within 8 days of your order.

I ordered on 19.12.12 and got engineer date for 7/1/13..Hmmm...

Maybe it's their New Years resolution smile

There was only 1 spot free out of a page of unavailable spots so possibly it was a cancellation
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to