User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:50:14
Print Post

Re: Just ordered Fibre Unlimited

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An ISP is only notified of the use of a MAC when the associated migration completes. It is not notified when it is submitted by the user to the new ISP, nor when the new ISP passes it to Openreach.

I disagree. We and other ISPs are made aware within a very short period of time of a MAC being used via an active order. 24 hours later we get a comitted date and finally a completed. Therefore from start to finish an ISP is given 3-4 points of reference to work/trigger processes.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 22:08:48
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

OOps!

Well, I can't really argue with that Martin smile. Though it's the first I've heard of it in all my time on these forums.

What I am certain of is that not many years ago it was definitely the case that the losing ISP was not always informed that their (ex-)customer's migration had completed. Whether that was because of system failures somewhere in a BT company or the ISP is another matter, but it was very frequent.

It could of course be that some ISPs lied. All my migration completions were known about by the losing ISP before I called them to confirm it.

However, in the context of the TalkTalk statement to the OP that their service would be terminated immediately the MAC was used, some very interesting questions arise. It has to be twaddle, or else illegal. (Quite apart from what I hope we are all right in saying, that to move from MPF to BT Wholesale systems does not require a MAC. But again a muddy pool - because of the interdependence of the PSTN and broadband sides and the possibility on different day moves).

Following on from that though, can you tell me whether I'm right or wrong in thinking you are not told to which ISP the move is to be?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 23:06:02
Print Post

What I am certain of is that not many years ago it was definitely the case that the losing ISP was not always informed that their (ex-)customer's migration had completed.
You can't know that for definite. You are not privy to ISPs' machinations. It is more likely that losing ISP ignored, forgot or mislaid the notifications.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 04-Jan-13 23:12:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 23:22:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You can't know that for definite. You are not privy to ISPs' machinations.
Bigggg longgg chuckle smile.

You can't know that for definite. You are not privy to what sources of information I had at the time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 23:31:56
Print Post

I wasn't being definite, I was more judicious; using the phrase "more likely".

It's a matter of probabilities, not certainties grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jan-13 09:01:35
Print Post

OOps!

Well, I can't really argue with that Martin smile. Though it's the first I've heard of it in all my time on these forums.

Below is a recent copy of someone who left us early this week (excuse any formatting).

You can see an order was placed by the gaining provider, then cancelled (we presume adjusted as they wanted 1st Jan at first) and then changed to 3rd Jan.

You can see all the way through, from the time it was issued to move away, we were kept right in the loop.

This is an example of migration out to a LLU provider. It's seen as a cease. (our XML picks this up it being a Cease L, so no charge applied).

Date Line Item Type Line Item Status Order Status Promised Date Completed Date Access Technology Interleaving Stability Option Downstream Upstream Traffic Weighting Delay Status Delay Reason
03/01/2013 16:19 CEASE COMPLETE COMPLETE 03-Jan-13 03-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard
03/01/2013 15:18 CEASE ISSUED PENDING 03-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard
14/12/2012 03:18 CEASE ISSUED PENDING 03-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard
14/12/2012 00:18 CEASE ISSUED PENDING 03-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard
13/12/2012 02:18 CANCEL OF CEASE CANCELLED CANCELLED 01-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard
11/12/2012 23:18 CEASE ISSUED PENDING 01-Jan-13 ADSL2plus Auto Standard 24Mbit/s UNCAPPED Standard

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 10:27:47
Print Post

Does the same series of notifications appear on a BTW >> BTW broadband migration please? Phone line staying wherever it is at the time.

Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jan-13 12:20:44
Print Post

Does the same series of notifications appear on a BTW >> BTW broadband migration please? Phone line staying wherever it is at the time.

Yup, exactly the same, just go out as a Migration, rather than a Cease.

It's these status that allow us to deal with billing.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 12:25:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by aquiss:
It's these status that allow us to deal with billing.

Yes, I imagine it helps... yet so many ISPs will not "see" a migration out unless you contact them (in some cases repeatedly). Do I take that they have no excuse for that? tongue
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 12:38:05
Print Post

Thanks Martin smile. Saves me spouting rubbish in the future.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to