User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cikoleko
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-13 01:04:23
Print Post

General COMMENTS [p2p-uTorrent]

[link to this post]

Hello as I am thinking on changing to plusnet fibre optic I would like someone who lives in London to comment on following things:

!Speed stability

!Reliability

!Speeds during traffic management

!Major problems (if you had any)
Standard User desiguk
(learned) Fri 04-Jan-13 16:21:04
Print Post

Re: General COMMENTS [p2p-uTorrent]

[re: cikoleko] [link to this post]

Hi,
I live in West London, and can give the following comments:

!Speed stability
- I am probably between 75-150m from the fibre cabinet, not sure on the exact details as it is at the top of the next street, and not sure how it has all been wired up. I am currently on the up to 40Mb service and get about 25-27Mb plus (been a while since i have speed tested the connection). speeds stay relatively stable, although I only perform p2p usage in the off-peak times and never during peak.

!Reliability
- Overall, very reliable service for me. The only issues I have had have been related to:
- faulty hardware (ADSL router/modem failure, and Fibre modem failure - this was replaced by a BTOR engineer)
- BT outage (entire phone line down)
- I had one instance of a very slow connection back in late 2002/early 2003, but that was apparently a DDOS attack pointed towards my static ip, which was quickly resolved by plusnet before I had even had a chance to raise a ticket to them.

!Speeds during traffic management
- As before I usually keep p2p to off-peak times (am on legacy product atm so off-peak is midnight-1600 for me). the p2p speeds for me during off-peak are usually quite high. On the odd occasion where I have had to use it during peak times it does slow down considerably.
- web surfing/youtube style streaming have always been ok, both in peak and off-peak times
- I have sometimes had issues with BBC iplayer on my ps3 in the evenings with slow connection and long buffering times, making it difficult to stream shows. Not sure if this was down to plusnet or wifi connection on ps3 though.

!Major problems (if you had any)
- Most problems as listed under reliability, so mostly issues outside of their control.
- Any ticket raised for non-urgent issues via their portal have always been answered within 24 hours for me.

EDIT: I am changing to Fibre Unlimited at my next bill date (17th this month) - so my experiences may be changing soon.. I will try and give another comment then (if you still need one)

=============================
Plusnet Premier option 1

Edited by desiguk (Fri 04-Jan-13 16:22:38)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:45:50
Print Post

[re: desiguk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by desiguk:
- I am probably between 75-150m from the fibre cabinet, not sure on the exact details as it is at the top of the next street, and not sure how it has all been wired up. I am currently on the up to 40Mb service and get about 25-27Mb plus

Rather surprised at that - I am about 450m from the cabinet and I got 35-37Mbps pretty much all the time when I was on the 40Mbps service, so yours seems very slow. Not wireless by any chance?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User desiguk
(learned) Sat 05-Jan-13 12:50:40
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hi Kevin,
I should do speed tests more often!

Just tried a thinkbroadband speed test and the BT speed test, and this is what I got:

TBB:
Date 05/01/13 12:44:12
Speed Down 34510.16 Kbps ( 33.7 Mbps )
Speed Up 7771.08 Kbps ( 7.6 Mbps )

My Broadband Speed Test

BT Speedtester:
Download Speed
32.34 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

Upload Speed
8.26 Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Funnily enough, BT speedtester thinks the max speed I can achieve is 0 - I hope that means the max!

And you were right, the last speed tests I quoted were when I first tried running speed tests on my android phone, so shouldn't have been an accurate portrayal of my actual line speed.

=============================
Plusnet Premier option 1
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 12:53:11
Print Post

Funnily enough, BT speedtester thinks the max speed I can achieve is 0 - I hope that means the max!

There is a bug with their system which often (always?) reports that as 0... it doesn't mean anything.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 13:00:12
Print Post

And you were right, the last speed tests I quoted were when I first tried running speed tests on my android phone, so shouldn't have been an accurate portrayal of my actual line speed.
Just quoting this to highlight it, in case the OP doesn't spot it at the end of a post, or realise its crucial importance in relation to your first reply smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-13 13:17:42
Print Post

Just out of interest how many ISP forums did you cross post this to, I've counted 3 so far though I don't read them all?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 13:26:35
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

To a C coder the "!" preceding each question is confusing smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cikoleko
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-13 14:00:30
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I was thinking on 3 different internet providers smile and wanted to research which one is best smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 14:27:31
Print Post

smile
Only ...

if you had given your short list in Which ISP, you would have got "fors" and "againsts" for each. Then if there were insufficient comments about one of them, you could give a linking post in that ISP's forum and ask for more.

As it is, you are likely to get mainly "fors", as the "againsts" will have left and possibly not frequent the particular ISP forum now.

Too late now, with the current type of wording. Possible, with a radically different format.

Print Thread

Jump to