User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Sat 05-Jan-13 15:54:55
Print Post

Plusnet router - bridge mode possible?

[link to this post]

I'm currently with O2 and looking to switch (isn't everyone?!) currently I have the O2 router setup for bridge mode so my static ip is usable on my firewall, is the same thing possible with the router Plusnet supplies?

I know it should be possible if I could get fttc to use the firewall instead of what they supply but my cab has been pushed back once again, frustrating as my exchange is probably nearer than any cabinet I could be connected to!

Also does anyone know if you take out the yearly adsl2 connection whether you can upgrade halfway through to fttc, without penalty? or am I stuck with it?

Thanks for any info
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 16:26:02
Print Post

Re: Plusnet router - bridge mode possible?

[re: tecnospy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tecnospy:
Also does anyone know if you take out the yearly adsl2 connection whether you can upgrade halfway through to fttc, without penalty? or am I stuck with it?
As things are at the moment, as T & Cs can change, you would be able to upgrade without penalty. However it does start a new 18 month minimum term for the FTTC connection, with the ADSL2+ one being terminated, and unless you take Plusnet Home Phone there is an FTTC installation charge.

Which makes me realise I don't know what happens about the installation charge if you already have Plusnet Home Phone when upgrading.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 05-Jan-13 17:29:35)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-13 16:55:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Which makes me realise I don't know what happens about the installation charge if you already have Plusnet Home Phone when upgrading.

I didn't have to pay an installation charge when I switched to FTTC, but that might have been during a special offer period when nobody had to.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tecnospy
(learned) Sun 06-Jan-13 20:05:12
Print Post

Well thats good news about contract, just need to find out about the router now
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sun 06-Jan-13 23:16:38
Print Post

[re: tecnospy] [link to this post]

I got this working OK.
See my post here..

At the moment I'm just running normal DHCP and assigning the DMZ to my firewall. There is also an option to assign the public IP address to an internal IP and this also seems to work OK.
A VPN server running on my LAN works OK which is usually a good test.

I've noticed it can be a bit slow to assign the external address though. Sometimes needs a restart of the interface on my firewall after the modem has been rebooted.

I've also used a DG834v4 in it's 'hidden' modem mode which worked well.
Standard User spraxyt
(regular) Mon 07-Jan-13 00:41:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

If you are an existing customer already having your phone with Plusnet the Fibre upgrade installation charge is still free.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Mon 07-Jan-13 09:53:37
Print Post

[re: spraxyt] [link to this post]

Hi tecnospy,

You'd be able to upgrade at any-point to our fibre service without any penalty charge.

The link that gmoorc has provided gives you a guide on bridge mode.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to