User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:01:41
Print Post

Good Connection, No Internet

[link to this post]

Problems today with no internet. Router confirms OK connection but no internet. PN had recorded message saying they were on the case but no real explanation. I would hazard that this has happened before but only for a few minutes at a time.

Anyone know what the real problem is? It is clearly not my router.

Meldrew.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:16:20
Print Post

Re: Good Connection, No Internet

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

Can you trace route the bbc using it's IP address?
tracert 212.58.241.131

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:26:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Have you tried changing your dns servers? It worked for me. Most people are using googles

instead of the automatic plus.net ones. You can change them on your computer, or if you log into your router and look at your adsl settings there is probably an option to manually add them instead of automatic. Just put in the google ones.

If you can't face it you can try the free dns jumper software
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/network/misc_net_t...
which will most do it for you with a few button press's and also find you the fastest ones available if you wish.

Anyway using someone else s dns servers fixed it for me today. The plusnet ones were failing half the time in the afternoon and all the time in the evening.

Good luck

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-13 21:51:16
Print Post

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

If it's of any help it may be to do with this?

... > Data Transfer/Routing issues (74057)
http://www.madasafish.com/support/service-status.html

I know it's madasafish but it's the same PN network and you should see similar/the same comments some where in the PN service status page.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User timl
(member) Wed 09-Jan-13 13:20:56
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Yes that does seem to be Plusnets latest issue.

Got to say I was with the same ISP for 4 years and it went wrong once and that was overnight... since joining Plusnet I've had it go down 3 times and counting.

Not impressed with my new ISPs reliability.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 09-Jan-13 17:10:13
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

All is now sorted, unfortunately there have been a quick succession of outages but this is out of the ordinary, if you're experiencing outages for lengthy periods of time and regularly then they may be something else that we need to look into.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User timl
(member) Wed 09-Jan-13 17:20:19
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris.

Apart from the outages I haven't got other issues unless you count problems with my router not being able to keep up...

I'm pleased you're confident that Plusnets issues have been successfully dealt with. I guess ALL isps go through these periods occasionally.

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-13 17:52:04
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

It has been a problem over the last few months and after all the usual tricks (test socket, change filter etc) I went back to my old router a 585 v7. The internet connection is the same as the latest "N" version which just could not hold a wifi connection with my phone.

Next time it dies I will phone immediately but it is nice to know that the router can check out the connection first.

Meldrew
  Print Thread

Jump to