User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 12:41:00
Print Post

plusnet FTTC OR Modem as router

[link to this post]

Hi i have a unlocked OR modem and im sure i read some were about being able to use them as routers instead of just a modem

My questions is really would i be able to do this with plusnet as they need you to enter a user and password not sure if the OR modem dose this,
TBF i dont like the router plus net supply its a bit pants but i do have a ADSL router which i like a lot the wireless is good and it has Gbit lan so rather than wasting more money on something i already have i was thinking put the OR modem in router mode (if possible) and then plug the OR modem into lan port 1 on the router,
I have used the router in the past as a hub/wap and know that bit works fine.

Thanks for replys

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 14:02:56
Print Post

Re: plusnet FTTC OR Modem as router

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Yes you should be able to do it.

BatBoy was the first to use it as a router after unlocking. He has a thread several months ago when he did it that might help.

If you search here by username and look back through his (many) posts you should find it by just looking at the headers. I think he has replied to a other questions about router mode since, so if you fine a thread he didn't start, it might be useful but isn't the main one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 14:18:30
Print Post

Re: plusnet FTTC OR Modem as router - Solved

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes you should be able to do it.

BatBoy was the first to use it as a router after unlocking. He has a thread several months ago when he did it that might help.

If you search here by username and look back through his (many) posts you should find it by just looking at the headers. I think he has replied to a other questions about router mode since, so if you fine a thread he didn't start, it might be useful but isn't the main one.

Thanks for the reply rob ill do that i thought id seen one but was not sure lol

Think this is the one

Ash

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged in to the modem in LAN 2 not LAN 1, and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click Submit

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

You can now use both LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports for 2 devices or plug 1 in to a switch etc.

EDIT

all working perfect now

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest
My Broadband Ping

Edited by acpsd775 (Thu 10-Jan-13 16:23:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:54:37
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

That was the thread, yes. I'd forgotten it was actually ADSL24 that did it first, but finding it as a Reply, which it is, would be much harder. I've bookmarked the ADSL24 post now for future reference.

So you are running exactly as desired now?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 19:25:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That was the thread, yes. I'd forgotten it was actually ADSL24 that did it first, but finding it as a Reply, which it is, would be much harder. I've bookmarked the ADSL24 post now for future reference.

So you are running exactly as desired now?

yea ive also set it up to 192.168.1.xxx while i was at it ive been using that as long as i can remember, but with the plusnet router i could not find were to change it looked under every setting i could find but it was stuck at 192.168.1.xxx.

So ive now got them modem in them mode i want with the set up and network range i want lol

thanks again for the help

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest
My Broadband Ping
  Print Thread

Jump to