User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User brianjn
(member) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:20:32
Print Post

router IP address

[link to this post]

I'm using the supplied Plus net router with a IP address of 192.168.1.254 and an old netgear router as a second wireless access point on an IP address of 192.168.1.1 which works well.

I just purchased a nice new Asus rt-56u router which has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 which will conflict with the netgear which I want to retain as a wireless access point for the top floor of a three storey building connected by a cat5 cable..

Can anyone please advise what the best IP address I should now use for the netgear in the new set-up to avoid a conflict with the Asus.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:35:52
Print Post

Re: router IP address

[re: brianjn] [link to this post]

You can use anything in the 192.168.1 range as long as it is not included in the DHCP range of the router that is giving out IP addresses (you need to disable DHCP on the router used as the wireless access point). For example, I start my DHCP range at 192.168.1.100 and anything below that is available for static addresses, routers, printers, etc. All of the routers should let you change their own addresses anyway, so it's really up to you how you do it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Thu 10-Jan-13 17:46:05
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In the set up pages for each of your routers, there will be a page on which you change the IP address of the router.

The address as stated above for each of them can be anywhere in the 192.168.1.___ range.

On the assumption that the new one is going to be connected to your ISP I suggest setting that to 192.168.1.254 , so that all the computersdevices you currently have are targeting the same number, whether they are using DHCP or not. On this router set DHCP to on and set the allowable range as say
192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.150

My personal preference would then be to set the addresses for the other two to
and
in both of these DHCP should be turned off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brianjn
(member) Sat 12-Jan-13 17:33:08
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your help with this question it help make my change over easy.

Update, new Asus rtn56u arrived and was the easiest router I've ever set-up on-line within 5 minutes and as I use old SSID and WPA Pre-Shared Key everything was picked up on the wireless side without any changes to wireless equipment.

Strange thing is router is sold as a 300Mbps on both 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz channels but inSSIDer is showing 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 450Mbps on 5Ghz.

Big plus is the wife loves the design not your normal white box, with BT modem hidden away a nice router on show.
  Print Thread

Jump to