User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ainsley001
(learned) Sat 12-Jan-13 00:58:02
Print Post

New to Plus Net Fibre

[link to this post]

Just got my set up to day and very pleased with speeds etc (33 down 7 up which is more than the line checker predicted so I'm good with those)

Just a couple of quick Q's :

1. is there a Superuser login for the router as there is with O2 ?
2. Is there anywhere in the router pages to see the sync speed - or is that an ADSL concept which no longer applies now I'm on fibre ? I can see the current up time but not the up and down speeds.

Thanks
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 12-Jan-13 08:32:31
Print Post

Re: New to Plus Net Fibre

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

You should have two devices, a fibre modem and a router (or else just a fibre modem and a single PC connected via PPPoE).
The sync is done by the fibre modem, and the router won't know anything about that.
Depending on which model of fibre modem you have been given (I believe there are two possibilities) it may be easier or harder to get the line stats; but you'll need to unlock them to get the info.
As for question 1, is the router a technicolor? In which case it is normally set up by the ISP in whatever way they like (they are never sold directly to the public, only to ISPs). It is however possible to create any login you want, with any privilege you like, as long as it lets you either save/restore configration or use telnet.
Standard User petervaughan
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-13 08:35:51
Print Post

1. no
2. no

You have 2 devices for fibre: The router supplied by plusnet (If you took that option) or your own, and the BT supplied VDSL2 modem.

You only get line stats from the device which has the modem in it, in this case the BT VDSL2 modem. However this device is locked down* and not accessible from your PCs or the router so you cannot get access to the stats. The router uses an ethernet connection to the modem which them passes through the PPPoE authentication protocol from the router which contains your login/password to access the internet.

The VDSL2 modems can be unlocked and there are methods to access the stats but I would not recommend doing so this early. One option as I did was buy a HG612 from ebay and unlock that keeping your existing one in case the unlocking does not work. Just Google for HG612 unlocking. Note: there are actually 2 versions of the VDSL2 modem from different manufacturers so make sure you know which one you have before doing anything.

- Peter

--
plusnet Customer FTTC Unlimited (62Mbs down/14Mbs up)
Plusnet Usergroup (PUG) Member
| PUG Website | PUG Forums | PUG Issue Tracker | UserTools Website | Service Status by Email | Exchange Checker ]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Jan-13 09:50:36
Print Post

You can get a close idea of your downstream sync by running the diagnostic option of the BT Performance Tester. Divide the IP Profile by 0.9679. Don't bother with the upstream IP profile, that will be 10 or 20 depending on Essentials/Unlimited.

As has been said, don't mess with the modem until at the earliest Monday, preferably Tuesday. The unlocking methods are provided here. The Huawei HG612 is a piece of cake. The ECI version more difficult.

If you do unlock one, the Bald_Eagle1 stats harvesting and graphing system is excellent. The live versions are just scripts, an exe version that works much faster is being beta tested by a few people here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Jan-13 09:51:43)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Jan-13 09:58:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For future reference that tester is being withdrawn as the official test - see this post - and the new one doesn't require Java http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1107...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Jan-13 10:04:27
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks Jim. I haven't gone to the link yet as tea in bed time now, but I think that has the diagnostic option at the bottom after running the initial one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Jan-13 10:10:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It does indeed
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-13 12:15:32
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info people. It IS a Technicolour Router. I think under the circs I'll just leave it and run a speed check every so often. The up time is probably key anyway but my line has historically gone through periods of noise which resets the router (when its been on ADSL2+ anyway) and the speed after re-syncs could vary a lot so I got into the habit of having a look.

Lets hope those sorts of issues might go away now.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-13 14:34:53
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Just tried that new BTW tester and it gave a generous result for the download speed on the maaf 20CN connection of 98.3% of an IP profile of 3Meg. never had that high a percentage before.

Alastair

omadasafisho
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 14-Jan-13 15:55:14
Print Post

Hi there,

Hope they do go away - it should be better with the copper only running from the cabinet to your premises rather than from the exchange. Unfortunately though we do have far less control over the profiles on fibre, and are unable to reset them as we can on ADSL/ADSL2+.

Regarding the modem, official stance is (of course) that you shouldn't unlock them so don't tell us if you do and it may be worth having a vanilla one handy in case there are any faults (I believe you can pick them up fairly cheaply from ebay?)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to