User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bright
(regular) Tue 15-Jan-13 19:45:30
Print Post

FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product!

[link to this post]

Signed up for PlusNet's new unlimited fibre tariff 10 days ago and my line was changed over by BTOR today. The engineer who visited was a contractor who just came in, plugged the VDSL modem into my master socket and checked the green DSL light came on. He got me to connect my PlusNet router, but that wouldn't bring up the PPPoE connection. After a few minutes of waiting he then b*ggered off and suggested I contact PlusNet if it didn't start working in the next 10 minutes. Very helpful! Fortunately I quickly figured out the router didn't have my username and password configured, so once they were set up everything burst into life.

However.... I ran the new BTW speed test and was disappointed to discover I was "only" getting 37Mbps down and 8Mbps up (I know that's a lot faster than many people!). When I signed up for the service the estimate of my line speed was 80 down and 20 up, and that's what the BTW availability checker says my line should be capable of. I'm about 200m from the cabinet. I also noticed I was on an IP profile of 40Mbps down/10 Mbps up. Hmmm...

Rang PlusNet support who spent quite a while trying to convince me it was either the 10 day settling period or that my line wasn't capable of anything higher. I pointed out that 40 down 10 up sounded suspiciously like the Fibre Essentials package, rather than the 80/20 Unlimited one I had signed up to, but was assured I was definitely on the 80/20 service. Anyway, persistence paid off (thank goodness I wasn't trying to convince a script-driven Indian call centre, mentioning no particular ISPs) - he eventually went away to investigate and found that, yes, they had ordered the wrong product from BTOR and I was indeed on the 40/10 product. It was their fault and they would request a change, which would take 7-10 days (but would happily charge me for the 80/20 product in the meantime!).

So I'm not impressed by my first experience of PlusNet. I hope things improve. I'm left wondering two things:

How can PlusNet order the wrong service from BTOR? I signed up online and ordered the 80/20 Unlimited fibre product from PlusNet. Surely they don't have people printing out the orders in a back room and re-typing the details into the BTOR order system? I just checked the (automated) order confirmation I received by email from PlusNet and it does indeed say "Estimated Broadband Speed: 40 Mbps", so it seems their computerised order systems screwed up. Which makes me wonder if there are lots of other customers getting half the speed they are paying for, who either haven't noticed or have been successfully fobbed off by tech support.

And secondly, I thought the BTOR installer was supposed to install a new VDSL face plate on the master socket (and maybe even test the line, or am I living in the idyllic past?). My master socket is one with a built-in filter from the very original engineer installed ADSL service (512kbit/s). Does anyone know if there is any difference in the filter characteristics used now for VDSL? I'm not sure if the filter acts on the modem port or just filters the DSL frequencies out from the phone socket and extension wiring. Any of the experts here can tell me?

Sorry about the long post - needed to vent my frustration with a not very impressive fibre upgrade!

--
Robert
ISP: BE Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jan-13 21:03:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC activated but provisioned on the wrong product!

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

In terms of the general idea the old faceplate filters are fine. In terms of absolute specifics there may be some difference, but I have not ripped one to pieces to check if component values already matched what is 100% best for VDSL.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:12:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It seems many new PN customers including you and me are having major speed issues...

Plusnet Unlimited fibre from 14.01.13

Current line speed : 14.7 Mb

Estimated line speed : 34 Mb

What I get now: 14 Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:35:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bright:
Signed up for PlusNet's new unlimited fibre tariff 10 days ago and my line was changed over by BTOR today. The engineer who visited was a contractor who just came in, plugged the VDSL modem into my master socket and checked the green DSL light came on. He got me to connect my PlusNet router, but that wouldn't bring up the PPPoE connection. After a few minutes of waiting he then b*ggered off and suggested I contact PlusNet if it didn't start working in the next 10 minutes. Very helpful! Fortunately I quickly figured out the router didn't have my username and password configured, so once they were set up everything burst into life.

How long was it left? It should have set up automatically via TR69 without needing touching. Takes about 10-15mins though.

he eventually went away to investigate and found that, yes, they had ordered the wrong product from BTOR and I was indeed on the 40/10 product. It was their fault and they would request a change, which would take 7-10 days (but would happily charge me for the 80/20 product in the meantime!).

That's not great. One of our guys will pick this up tomorrow and sort this.

So I'm not impressed by my first experience of PlusNet. I hope things improve. I'm left wondering two things:

How can PlusNet order the wrong service from BTOR? I signed up online and ordered the 80/20 Unlimited fibre product from PlusNet. Surely they don't have people printing out the orders in a back room and re-typing the details into the BTOR order system? I just checked the (automated) order confirmation I received by email from PlusNet and it does indeed say "Estimated Broadband Speed: 40 Mbps", so it seems their computerised order systems screwed up. Which makes me wonder if there are lots of other customers getting half the speed they are paying for, who either haven't noticed or have been successfully fobbed off by tech support.

Most of our ordering is automated, but there are some fibre installs which need a human touch. As soon as you put that human element in, errors can happen.

I've not noticed a loads of people with this particular problem, but I have seen a couple, so I'll get someone to have a review to see if there is something a little more sinister going on.

And secondly, I thought the BTOR installer was supposed to install a new VDSL face plate on the master socket (and maybe even test the line, or am I living in the idyllic past?). My master socket is one with a built-in filter from the very original engineer installed ADSL service (512kbit/s). Does anyone know if there is any difference in the filter characteristics used now for VDSL? I'm not sure if the filter acts on the modem port or just filters the DSL frequencies out from the phone socket and extension wiring. Any of the experts here can tell me?

Hmm. I'm not an expert at all, but the point of the faceplate is to sepeate away the rest of your wiring from the master socket completely. This is because at the higher fibre speeds, that interference can mean 10s of Mbps of difference...!

Sorry about the long post - needed to vent my frustration with a not very impressive fibre upgrade!

Yeah, Sorry about that. Like I said, I'll get someone having a little look to make sure we fix whatever has gone wrong here.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Tue 15-Jan-13 22:36:49
Print Post

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

I suspect your problem is very different (and possibly a bit trickier to resolve, I.e. a fault), but I'll make sure it's checked all the same.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Bright
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-13 09:25:18
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KellyD:
How long was it left? It should have set up automatically via TR69 without needing touching. Takes about 10-15mins though.

For the sake of brevity I didn't explain all the details... When the PlusNet router was connected to the BTOR modem it configured and connected after a few minutes - the "Internet" light turned green. However there was no connectivity to the internet (eg could not access google.com). I checked the router's management page and could see that it had been configured with your DNS server addresses so tried to ping those. No response. Left it a few more minutes then turned off the router and BTOR modem and turned them on again. This time the "Internet" light didn't come on. After 5 or 10 minutes the BTOR installer left. I left the router on for about 20 mins but still nothing. Had another look at the management page and it had a username of tr069@plusdsl.net and no password. So I filled in the correct username/password and it connected fine. I guess the TR69 process didn't work properly...

In reply to a post by KellyD:
Most of our ordering is automated, but there are some fibre installs which need a human touch. As soon as you put that human element in, errors can happen.

I've not noticed a loads of people with this particular problem, but I have seen a couple, so I'll get someone to have a review to see if there is something a little more sinister going on.

I got a "Welcome to PlusNet" email within a couple of minutes of completing sign-up. That said "Estimated Broadband Speed: 40 Mbps". I just didn't notice it in the small print. So either your back office staff are very quick off the mark with their "human error" or there's something wrong with your automated process!

Thanks for your response. Hopefully it can be sorted out quickly. I'm hoping it's not a fault with the line - your CS rep said that I was provisioned on the wrong BTOR product after checking your systems.

--
Robert
ISP: PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User Bright
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-13 09:35:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In terms of the general idea the old faceplate filters are fine. In terms of absolute specifics there may be some difference, but I have not ripped one to pieces to check if component values already matched what is 100% best for VDSL.

Thanks Andrew. Having thought more about it, I guess the faceplate is just a low pass filter on the telephone socket and extension wiring to prevent the DSL signals getting through to them. It doesn't filter anything going to the data port, does it? It would make much more sense if filtering out the unwanted voice frequencies is left to the modem itself.

So if that's the case, my very old ADSL faceplate shouldn't have any impact on my VDSL sync speed...?

--
Robert
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Jan-13 09:48:36
Print Post

Having thought more about it, I guess the faceplate is just a low pass filter on the telephone socket and extension wiring to prevent the DSL signals getting through to them. It doesn't filter anything going to the data port, does it? It would make much more sense if filtering out the unwanted voice frequencies is left to the modem itself.

So if that's the case, my very old ADSL faceplate shouldn't have any impact on my VDSL sync speed...?
Correct. There are suggestions there may be slightly better components in the OR VDSL2 one, but only relevant on 80/20 products that achieve over the 40Mbps. Certainly not a significant problem even on 80/20.

Re the startup - my Plusnet routers came with a four-page leaflet explaining in painful detail the setup procedure, and that after connecting you should go and have a coffee as it takes around 15 minutes to establish the PPP connection even once all the lights are on. Didn't you get one of those? It proved to be true.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bright
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-13 10:26:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Re the startup - my Plusnet routers came with a four-page leaflet explaining in painful detail the setup procedure, and that after connecting you should go and have a coffee as it takes around 15 minutes to establish the PPP connection even once all the lights are on. Didn't you get one of those? It proved to be true.

Yes, although I went and made tea. Maybe that was the problem! smile

I assumed that once the "Internet" light turned green and the PPPoE connection was established it would work, but maybe I was too impatient - I had a BTOR installer telling me he couldn't hang around and wait for it! After the power-off reset I waited 20 mins, but nothing happened so maybe the set-up process got aborted by my impatience.

So apart from setting the correct username and password in the router, was there anything else the TR069 process was supposed to configure in the router, can anyone tell me?

--
Robert
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Thu 17-Jan-13 12:49:02
Print Post

Hi there,

Sorry to see that you were provisioned on the wrong product, we currently have a problem open(74168) which is due to fixed. This should have been explained clearer to you from your first contact with us.

You'll be in the higher speeds as of tomorrow, please let me know if that is not the case. There's nothing that you need to do from your side.

We use TR069 to automatically connect you to the internet, there's nothing that else that it will have tried to do.

Rrgards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to