User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 18:16:53
Print Post

Re: Carrier NAT & Static IPs

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
As for IPV6 and the plusnet router , i think that the TG582N is compatable via a FW upgrade ,

The TG582N provided by AAISP supports IPv6, and I think any recent enough firmware already supports it, no need to upgrade.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:23:02
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

thats the easy cop out, just start the service with a disclaimer about needing compatible equipment.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:28:31
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

To which my response would be "Get Lost" I am very happy with my Netgear DG834G v4
Also of course the vast majority of their customers are using the pre 582n routers and, if I was one of those, my reaction would be "Supply me with a compatible router free without P&P charges and no 12 month tie in"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:32:05
Print Post

The 582n is already compatible, it may need a firmware upgrade but they should be able to do it via TR069.
So they've already supplied you with one.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:37:35
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

No they haven't
I have been a customer since way before that came out as have the majority of the other customers
That has only been on offer since the beginning of last year - before that it was a 585
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:39:05
Print Post

Well, OK in which case they decided that IPv6 would mean sending off too many new routers.
Unless of course they can also provide a firmware upgrade for the 585.

edit - and of course they can provide the service but that doesn't force anybody to use it. It just means that it will be possible to access IPv6 only sites - and there are a few already - if one wants. At present, you'll have to use a tunnel service to access them.

Edited by Uilebheist (Sat 19-Jan-13 19:42:53)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:50:21
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Shows ignorance blush
If the majority of the users only have IP4 compatible routers will that mean that they would have to be given ip4 addresses and, if this is the case, would a person on ip6 be totally messed up if his router failed and his only spare was ip4 capable
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 20:09:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
Shows ignorance blush
If the majority of the users only have IP4 compatible routers will that mean that they would have to be given ip4 addresses and, if this is the case, would a person on ip6 be totally messed up if his router failed and his only spare was ip4 capable

Using IPv6 does not stop having IPv4 as well. So not sure what you are aiming at. If their only IPv6 router fails, they'll just go IPv4 only until they can replace it (and possibly moan about some IPv6 only sites being unreachable, but that's inevitable).

edit - having done a search for some IPv6 only sites I found a few links which I cannot post here - they would get me banned from the forum blush - I'm sure there will be somebody there who got IPv6 via tunnelbroker.net just to reach these sites tongue

Edited by Uilebheist (Sat 19-Jan-13 20:12:54)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:05:00
Print Post

To be clear I never suggested ipv4 not been offered, and the only reasonable way to supply ipv6 currently is dual stacking it with ipv4, so in your case you would have no issue. You could simply just choose to not use the ipv6 and stay as you are.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:43:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I suppose CG NAT or IPv4 tunneling would be acceptable, but only when dual stacked with a dedicated IPv6 address. Just to bundle hundreds or thousands of users on one IPv4 address without also giving them an option of a unique IPv6 address would be horrible.

This is a classic case where the regulators should come in to encourage or enforce the preferred option (IPv6) instead of a fudge (CG NAT).

And logging will be fun, the next time the likes of Ben Dover start fingering an IP address, hundreds or thousands of people could be using it at any one time. I wonder if Plusnet have considered this scenario for the trial?

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to