User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Northbay
(newbie) Thu 17-Jan-13 17:32:05
Print Post

Does p2p throttling affect Spotify Premium?

[link to this post]

Thinking of switching to Plusnet Fibre Unlimited from Zen 8Mbs. My only concern is whether streaming on the Spotify Premium (320kbs) service will be OK as I understand it uses p2p technology which gets a low priority on Plusnet. Apparently some people on BT have problems with stuttering, pausing etc. Can anyone give me a definitive answer or some user experience?
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 17-Jan-13 18:01:19
Print Post

Re: Does p2p throttling affect Spotify Premium?

[re: Northbay] [link to this post]

You should see it as fast as we can send it to you wink

It will be slowed if you do something higher priority on your line to make space for that higher priority traffic. Have a read of: It's Unlimited! Why is it still traffic managed?

edit: Actually, part of what I said is rubbish there. Spotify Streaming, even if it is P2P should be identified and treated as streaming and therefore be prioritised above traffic such as Usenet or normal P2P.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by KellyD (Thu 17-Jan-13 18:03:18)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Thu 17-Jan-13 18:43:15
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

i'm wondering what a none standard port of a FTP will run like (not on port 21), i need speed on ports other than 21.
I see on you plusnet site All about traffic management

Some applications not using the standard port may not be identified correctly by our system, as we use DPI to identify applications on the network. These applications may be classified as 'other' traffic in which case a lower priority may apply.

'other' points to silver, so if i move to fibre unlimited and nothing is running on my fibre line other than ftp would i get full speed?

eclipse internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Thu 17-Jan-13 18:48:33
Print Post

[re: nuke_me] [link to this post]

It's unlimited, so even if we misidentify it, it should still be fast.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Northbay
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 10:14:02
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply Kelly.
Since posting, I've done some more research and came across this thread from 2009 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7528...
It seems the problem back then was that your Arbor traffic management system was unable to detect Spotify traffic because it is encrypted P2P and many people found it was unusable at certain times, even with a relatively fast connection. Is this still the situation?

My estimated speed on fibre is 33Mbs so maybe Spotify traffic will be fast enough even if it is low priority? Or would the 'Pro' add on avoid the problem? Can this be added at any time or does it have to be specified at order?

Sorry to fire so many questions at you but problem-free Spotify is essential to me. Any feedback from other Spotify Premium users would be much appreciated
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 12:15:55
Print Post

Pro can be added at any time (I think to take effect on your normal billing date) and is only a monthly contract, quite independent of your main one. So you can get rid of it as well.

The normal recommendation now is to try without.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(isp) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:14:30
Print Post

The older products had rate limiting and less bandwidth given to de-prioritised protocols at peak like P2P.

With the Unlimited products, this is not the case. You should see it at close to your maximum speed. If it was being put into Bronze, it would take a back seat to any higher priority traffic you had running at he time, e.g. streaming, gaming, VoIP, but this doesn't mean a significant decrease (unless those other activities are maxing your line)

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
  Print Thread

Jump to