User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 14:45:20
Print Post

GEA service test ???

[link to this post]

Do you guys know what GEA service test involve?
What particular fault does it check for and what inferences can be made from the results?

As I understand the the sequence of fault finding mission before an engineer is sent out is :

Tests done by the customer:

1) BTW performance - initial step
2) BTW performance - further diagnostics
3) BTW performance - TAP 3 using a test username and password

Test done by ISP:

4) GEA service test

Some more doubts about fault finding:

1) I know BTW test give downstream / upstream speed and IP profile. But how do you deduce where the fault is based on the results?

2) Who is responsible for a low sync speed than expected - ISP or BT?

3) When the engineer who come to check for faults try sync speed from master socket will the already set IP profile interfere and give a false low result?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:28:55
Print Post

Re: GEA service test ???

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abhijack:
1) I know BTW test give downstream / upstream speed and IP profile. But how do you deduce where the fault is based on the results?
You don't really. It is basically extra information to add to what has already been gathered from line stats, other speed tests, and the description of the fault, if deemed necessary.

For instance, Plusnet is one of several ISPs where a copy of the IP Profile is held and acted upon. If the BT one and the Plusnet one are different then that may be a simple case of the updating of the copy failed. The fact that they are the same doesn't mean there isn't an IP Profile mismatch elsewhere in the BTW system.
2) Who is responsible for a low sync speed than expected - ISP or BT?
You have a contract with your ISP. You do not have a contract for the broadband with BT. Therefore the responsibility lies with the ISP.

A special case arises where the conclusion reached by anyone who knows what they are on about is that there is a line fault, and that the line fault can be easily demonstrated. Mainly audible noise, hopefully on the Quiet Line Test. In this case the best thing to do is report the voice side fault to your line rental company, without mentioning broadband, as line faults are likely to get fixed more quickly by the PSTN side of Openreach. If your line rental and broadband are with the same company, you hope they have the nous to go down the PSTN fault channel.
3) When the engineer who come to check for faults try sync speed from master socket will the already set IP profile interfere and give a false low result?
The IP Profile is a result of the sync speed, not the controller of it. Period! Depending on the type of connection, ADSL, ADSL2/2+, FTTC, there are different expected IP Profiles from any given sync speed. More information on IP Profiles.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User abhijack
(regular) Fri 18-Jan-13 22:52:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks mate...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 23:21:03
Print Post

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

Ooops!

There can be confusion, and it may have got to you.

There are several sorts of profile. The IP Profile you asked about is as I describe.

However there is also "line profiling", which includes banding.

Banding is where the DLM for some reason cuts the maximum sync speed and also sets a minimum sync speed. You might have been thinking of that.

If a line has been banded, but the engineer's tests show no reason why it should now be, he has to contact a control centre and get them to release it back to whatever speed it can connect at.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to