User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User urban4691
(member) Sun 20-Jan-13 13:54:04
Print Post

Waiting for fibre

[link to this post]

So, I've finally made the decision to switch from O2 (and give up waiting for their FTTC) and go back to PlusNet and jump on to their unlimited fibre offering. I'm getting this on the BT Wholesale site:

http://i.imgur.com/sLtIEy5.png

How good are they at sticking to those dates? And why only 38.7Mbps?

-----

O2 home broadband (18.2meg sync) and Vodafone mobile broadband customer.

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:07:34
Print Post

Re: Waiting for fibre

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

"How good are they at sticking to those dates?"

the date s a placeholder and will likely be changed to 31 June, and then 31 Sept ect every three months.

Unless its changed recently.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:04:12
Print Post

If you are one of the first on the cabinet the speed is likely to be quite a bit higher than the estimate. As others join, it may drop towards the estimate, as crosstalk hits it.

With FTTC the distance from the cabinet affects the speed, in the same way as the distance from the exchange does on ADSLx. Just the distance from the cabinet is usually much less.

There is a graph somewhere, but I'd guess you are 600-700 cable metres from yours? Did that report give you the cabinet number? If so, find it and keep an eye open for signs of work near to it. In particular, its fibre partner arriving.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:04:50
Print Post

38.7Mb is the IP Profile that can be expected if the connection is able to sync at the full 40Mb (IP Profile should be around 96.79% of sync speed for VDSL2 services).

If your line is actually cabable of higher speed, it looks like you may end up provisioned on the wrong (lower speed) service.

Plusnet have recently confirmed there has been an "issue" with some new users ending up on the 40/10 service when it should have been the 80/20.

They can easily & quickly amend that manually if that is the case.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sun 20-Jan-13 16:07:01)

Standard User urban4691
(member) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:36:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto,

Yes, it does give the cabinet number. Is there any way of finding out which cabinet is where? (Online rather than walking the streets!).

And what do you mean by a fibre partner, is that Openreach?

On the distance spot on smile Although PN told me that may be the first stage of provisioning, and that it may increase to 80/20.

-----

O2 home broadband (18.2meg sync) and Vodafone mobile broadband customer.

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:38:55
Print Post

For FTTC a fibre cabinet is installed failry close to the existing phone (PSTN) cabinet, and the two are linked underground. So usually possible to see pavement paint for where things are to happen, and often some trenchwork.

More information on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 23:39:20
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
38.7Mb is the IP Profile that can be expected if the connection is able to sync at the full 40Mb (IP Profile should be around 96.79% of sync speed for VDSL2 services).

If your line is actually cabable of higher speed, it looks like you may end up provisioned on the wrong (lower speed) service.

The link is to a BT Wholesale prediction of the speed on that line - the prediction is that 38.7/6 is the maximum achievable, even on an 80/20 product.

Many people find these estimates are conservative, though they may prove realistic over time as more people move to FTTC and crosstalk bites. I guess it's better to underpromise and overdeliver than the other way round.

ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:52:56
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Just to add, I don't think we're able to give the most accurate estimate until fibre has actually been implemented in your area. Hope that comes soon for you.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to