User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nismith
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 18:21:09
Print Post

is BT Enterprise broadband provided by Plusnet?

[link to this post]

My ISP is Endrick (formerly Eessis) in Glasgow. The address entered in the router begins BTebb.... which I presume stands for BT Enterprise Broadband. Is this a service provided by Plusnet?

My normal 6M service has dropped to 0.18M and been so for a month without much help from the ISP. I am considering a switch to Plusnet but not if they are already providing my service behind the scenes. Can anyone advise.

It seems to be a real disadvantage getting phone from BT and BB from someone else as the each blames the other.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 18:31:46
Print Post

Re: is BT Enterprise broadband provided by Plusnet?

[re: nismith] [link to this post]

If you run www.speedtest.net that shows the underlying ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 18:43:43
Print Post

the bit after the @ in the router login is the most useful part

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 19:13:51
Print Post

BT Enterprise Broadband is provided by BT Global Services. As opposed to BT Wholesale.

I get the impression it is for international companies to purchase suitable products with special links to other telcos.

It appears that your ISP has services provided by Global Services, and it also looks as though Plusnet are, (at least in 2009 were), able to provide BT Enterprise broadband through Global Services, as well as the UK BT Wholesale products.

My conclusion is that the answer to your question is No. BT Enterprise broadband is something Plusnet can or did sell, but if you move to Plusnet it will be nothing to do with BT EB. It will through BT Wholesale.

Having said all that. Whoaaa!

I expect your service is actually provided from GS via BTW in the UK. Migration to solve a problem like yours is generally a bad idea, though occasionally the only way if you have a useless ISP.

Maybe you and we here should see if your problem is something we can help with? That is one of the purposes of these forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User nismith
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:43:53
Print Post

Thanks all. I have done the speed tests and they all identify the IP address as PLUSNET TECHNOLOGIES even though I pay my broadband fee to ENDRICK an IT company. When Endrick send me tickets they say BT Enterprise and the address for the router is BTebb.. So it looks like Plusnet and Plusnet have an arrangement.
Because I deal with the IT company they are soon out of their depth with the problem. sO Jjoining PLUSNET direct probably would frying pan to fire
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 11:58:33
Print Post

The fact that ENDRICK seem to be reselling Plusnet (if they are they are probably adding a fair margin) isn't relevant unless you have access to the Plusnet fault support system. From reading their website that wouldn't seem to be the case so you have a third party trying to sort out a line fault where they don't have access to BT Openreach to get it investigated and fixed.
They should be raising it as a fault with Plusnet but it sounds as though they aren't otherwise you would have been asked to carry out a number of tests followed by an engineer visit to sort it
Note that this explains a bit about Plusnet resellers http://www.plus.net/business/partner/
http://www.commsbusiness.co.uk/Comms_Business_Featur...
Putting the customer in control is paramount to the success of Plusnet’s business model. Client resellers are able to manage their accounts via a portal which enables:

• Online provision with real-time line check
• Options to place orders in single or in bulk
• CRM tools to help manage your customer accounts, including order tracking and jeopardy management
• Automated faults diagnostics with direct links into BTW Knowledge Based Diagnostic (KBD tools)
• Access to radius logs for easy fault diagnostics
• Problem / fault ticketing with full fault history for accountability
• Monthly one bill with fully itemised online invoicing (no paper bills)

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 21-Jan-13 11:59:44)

Standard User nismith
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:16:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I will give the sequence to see if anything obvious.

Five years with BB varying between 3 and 5M then in December last exchange (WSLEX) converted to 21CN ADSL 2 plus. For two weeks speed rose to 6M and appeared more consistent then speed collapsed to 0.18M. As it was over Xmas I just lived with it assuming it was the big weather problems in other parts of the country.

Early January no change so call out BT Openreach at my risk. He replaces a damaged jumper on my line and says line is now OK. I point out that my router is still reading 288 the lowest BB speed band and I still have the problem which he accepts. He notes the high SNR margin 30db and says it needs a reset at the exchange.

8 days later this is done after much prodding but still no difference. Except the router stats now show not 288 but over 7m and the SNR down from 30 to 3. But still no difference still 0.18 or lower. Even BT Wholesale checker showed this and couldn't complete the further diagnostic tests (I presume because it was too slow).

I can hear a faint cracking and mush on my line and have ordered another BT engineer at my risk though BT say the line is fine - no mush. But I am at my wits end

I have tried two different routers, three computers are affected and no new equipment has been added to my room.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:22:38
Print Post

Is the faint cracking with the router etc plugged in or just a phone in the test socket?
If the noise is only there when the router is plugged in you may want to check for a faulty microfilter.
Could you post your router stats including sync, SNR and any information about errors?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:29:14
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

"If you are looking to receive an end to end managed
service without investing in network infrastructure
then your best option would be Plusnet Partner
managed broadband. This solution is currently live
with 20CN broadband and will be adding 21CN
functionality from Spring 2009. Plusnet Partner
broadband allows you to make the move to nextgeneration
broadband without the need for capital
expenditure, allowing you to focus your funds on
customer service and marketing – where they will have
the highest impact."

Taken from BT Wholesale website, Plusnet has been a partner for some time in terms of providing access to smaller providers. The arrangement not being unlike what Entanet have, with lots of various options.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:15:20
Print Post

Ask them to check with Plusnet what the Current Line Speed is set to on your connection as this may well be the problem and if it is they want a good kicking as that should have been the first thing to check

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 21-Jan-13 13:49:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to