User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sadsyndroe
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:47:55
Print Post

Router

[link to this post]

Hi
I was put on PN 40/10 in error. I informed PN and they put correct 80/20 profile 1 week later. I have since been consistently getting 63mbps/ 17mbps all week.

On Sat I tried to replace supplied router with my tplink1043 cos it has 1gig ports. Although i was told it would work, I spent couple of hours: got it to connect but really slow performance so took it out and reinstalled supplied router.

Since then my dload speeds are back down to 34mbpsfrown I have raised another fault ticket). My phone was also switched over today so I wonder if that had anything to do with speed decreasing?

Questions:
Does rebooting modem/ or router cause speeds to drop from 63mbps to 34mbps?
Anyone know how to configure tplink 1043 as router?
Does phone switch affect broadband dload speed?

I was pleased with response to my first issue of being put on incorrect speed but think PN could be more proactive in resolving these issues. I suspect I would still be on the slow speed if i hadnt noticed.

I was also happy with OR engineer who was thorough and explained everyhthing to me. Maybe letting them know what has actually been ordered would mean incorrect packages (80/20 or 40/10) could be prevented at time of install?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 22:07:14
Print Post

Re: Router

[re: sadsyndroe] [link to this post]

Rebooting the openreach modem can make the DLM think your line is unstable.
Playing with the router should have no impact.
Unplugging phones carries a chance of creating a noise spike that may upset the modem.

You need to use the router in a PPPoE mode and supply the username and password, that is it.

Looking at the router I am not surprised it is slow - smallnetbuilder in testing was only able to move 120 Mbps of data between WAN and LAN side, and usually PPPoE makes this worse. I have a more powerful TP Link router for review that can do 890 Mbps in the same sort of testing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 22:47:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Given the max FTTC sync from Openreach is 80Mbps, that doesn't really matter.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-13 23:41:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Depends on what overhead doing WAN LAN and PPPoE makes on the router.

The tests of throughput are usually using a plain dynamic IP allocation

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to