User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User white43
(member) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:04:19
Print Post

Sky to Plusnet Fibre

[link to this post]

I'm on Sky Unlimited, full LLU. Fibre has been rolled out to my town (Dorchester), but Sky are dragging their heels on updating their equipment to support Fibre.

So, was considering moving to PlusNet Unlimited Fibre + Calls.

Would cost about the same as Sky anyway - Sky are £20 for Fibre, ultimately, Plusnet would be 19.99 (after six months of 9.99).

Sky broadband support really annoy me. The first line is awful, second line, if you can get it - are better. I'm seeing mixed responses to Plusnet support, but I'm fairly sure it can't be worse than Sky.

So anyway - is it worth the move do you think? Or do you think I'm just lining myself up for repeated bashing my head against the wall trying to get off Sky LLU?

-----
Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky Unlimited
D-Link DSL 2640S

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/979136501.png[/IMG]
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:11:21
Print Post

Re: Sky to Plusnet Fibre

[re: white43] [link to this post]

From what I've seen with people's issues when coming off LLU I'd suggest migrating to Plusnet on plain ADSL first and then immediately that is up and running order the upgrade to fibre. The problem with that is that if you got an introductory discount you might lose it when you upgrade.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User Bright
(regular) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:57:34
Print Post

I've no experience of Sky, but I migrated from Be Unlimited ADSL2+ LLU to PlusNet Fibre Unlimited 10 days ago. I was one of the unfortunate customers who got put on to the 40/10 instead of the 80/20 product. It seems this was a "programming error" in the automated sign-up process which ordered the wrong product from BTOR. Once the problem was recognised I was upgraded fairly quickly, and as far as I understand the issue has now been fixed with the sign-up process - perhaps a PlusNet rep would care to comment on that.

So although there was an unfortunate hiccup with my migration, I feel that PlusNet dealt with it reasonable well and I'm satisfied with the customer service aspect. As for the Fibre Unlimited product, now it's working properly I'm very happy indeed. Throughput has been excellent at all times of the day I've been using it, and other performance criteria such as ping times, latency, jitter seem very good. I don't use p-2-p, torrents or gaming so I can't comment on those, but downloads are fast and the service has been reliable so far - it's early days yet. But I'm certainly noticing that I no longer suffer from the dropped packet problems I had on Be.

My phone is due to be migrated from BT to PlusNet on Monday, so can't comment on that either.

Overall, I'm very happy I made the change to PlusNet, especially with the half-price rental offer for the first 6 months. Definitely a better deal than BT Infinity.

Robert

Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ultra
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:39:19
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

OP wouldn't be eligible for 9.99/month fibre unlimited for 6 months if done by switching while on ADSL and not going direct to fibre from PN.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:42:41
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

especially with the half-price rental offer for the first 6 months.

Luck so-and-so... I'd take that if I could get it (fibre delayed in my area until May 2005).

I started with PN end of March 2003... and just wish that existing customers could get a similar discount for upgrading from ADSL to fibre.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:54:06
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bright:
Once the problem was recognised I was upgraded fairly quickly, and as far as I understand the issue has now been fixed with the sign-up process - perhaps a PlusNet rep would care to comment on that.

Problem now fixed. We've still got in flight orders completing though, so they'll need upgrading then they activate, but an order placed now should run through correctly as 80/20.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User white43
(member) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:28:23
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Do Plusnet traffic manage on fibre?

Looks like it. I use P2P as well.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

This is one thing Sky doesn't do. OK, could pay an extra £5 for pro to get rid of that.

-----
Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky Unlimited
Sky Router
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:33:06
Print Post

We don't "manage" the speed down. If you are just P2Ping, it will come down as fast as your connection can handle*

*caveats around exchange contention, times when the network is in an emergency state etc. Have a look at some of my other posts in this forum and read: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimi...

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jan-13 19:02:23
Print Post

True, you could pay an extra £5 to make streaming, browsing etc worse if you have P2P running in the background.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Jan-13 19:24:13
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

So what's the OP's best path to Plusnet phone and fibre from Sky MPF Kelly?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to