User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User poggs
(learned) Sat 26-Jan-13 10:40:36
Print Post

Will plusnet provide adsl2 automatically?

[link to this post]

I am in a market one area with no options other than bt based adsl max. Get a good 7meg connection though.

Anyway according to samknows bt are providing wbc21 or something on 30june at my exchange (Longniddry)

Will I then get a 16meg connection with plusnet?

Or am I missing something?
Thanks
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jan-13 10:59:23
Print Post

Re: Will plusnet provide adsl2 automatically?

[re: poggs] [link to this post]

Yes - BUT
If you want it to happen as quickly as possible you should raise a ticket as soon as the change is confirmed to have happened otherwise it will wait for the bulk upgrade
Standard User pompey_steve
(member) Tue 29-Jan-13 21:13:27
Print Post

Re: Will plusnet provide adsl2 automatically? *DELETED*

Post deleted by pompey_steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jan-13 22:49:24
Print Post

A good 7 Meg connection with what attenuation? If your attenuation is above 40dB (7 is possible with ADSL at this attenuation) then ADSL2+ is unlikely to run at 16Meg.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

Will estimate your ADSL2+ speed based on current router stats

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User poggs
(learned) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:05:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A good 7 Meg connection with what attenuation? If your attenuation is above 40dB (7 is possible with ADSL at this attenuation) then ADSL2+ is unlikely to run at 16Meg.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

Will estimate your ADSL2+ speed based on current router stats

Awesome thanks. My downstream is 8128, noise margin is 6.5 and downstream attenuation is 23.5. That link says I should get 21Meg!

Wow.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:49:05
Print Post

Hmmmm.

I'd bank on between 17Mbps and 19Mbps, as long as your home phone wiring is set up appropriately. I have a feeling from your noise margin that it isn't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 29-Jan-13 23:50:24)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jan-13 23:50:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by poggs:
My downstream is 8128, noise margin is 6.5 and downstream attenuation is 23.5. That link says I should get 21Meg!
No, it doesn't! Expect 17-18 Meg on ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User gcmozart
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:05:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Hmmmm.

I'd bank on between 17Mbps and 19Mbps, as long as your home phone wiring is set up appropriately. I have a feeling from your noise margin that it isn't.
How does that fit with PlusNet headline advertised offering of up to 16mb on non-fibre products?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:29:20
Print Post

[re: gcmozart] [link to this post]

Because the latest regulations on advertising stipulate it must be a speed that at least 10% of their customers achieve.

As you know, speed is related to distance from the exchange, and few are close enough to get more. The same applies to all ISPs. Very few now advertise 24Mbps, and the 20Mbps ones are fewer than they were. Possibly those are inaccurate anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:49:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

When the exchanges are 21CN/ADSL2 enabled we're doing bulk upgrades to move customers over to this, although it may not happen as soon as it's been enabled as we've got quite a few to work through.

However if you're eager to get switched over then raise a ticket at http://contactus.plus.net and we'll get that arranged for you. It takes 7 days for the switchover to complete and you'll then be placed in a 10 training period.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to