User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sallust
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:26:07
Print Post

Bewildered by installation problems

[link to this post]

In early January, I signed up for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) and took their phone line also.

An Openreach guy turned up one Friday evening to do the installation. He reported that my speeds seemed to be capped at 40 Megabits, but told me I should be delighted anyway, and wouldn't notice the difference between this speed and anything I might get on 80/20.

Knowing as I did of the recent problems with Plusnet new fibre installations, I was not overly concerned. I tried to put in a call to tech support that Friday evening, but found that I just kept getting cut off while in the queue.

Oh well, I figured there were staffing problems due to bad weather. I called back early on Saturday morning, and explained the issue. No worries, the tech guy knew about the issue, confirmed my IP profile was 40/10, and promised to put me on a list of customers who would be sorted out by Openreach on the following Monday.

This did not happen, so I called again on Tuesday evening. "Sorry Sir, we will now put you on a "Personal Action" list or something, and your problem will be dealt with tomorrow. A note is placed on my account saying:

"As the order with BTW is still committed this requires to be complete before being provisioned the 80/20.". A similar note is placed on a second ticket, explaining that my phone line transfer can not go ahead either until the order for fibre is completed.

The next day, I received an email to say my problem had been dealt with by Plusnet, who had changed my profile to 80/20. A note says: "I have had a member of our Provisioning team change the profile to receive the 80/20 speeds."

Er, no difference. So on Thursday first thing I add a comment to my ticket on the support page to say this hadn't worked. I hear nothing, so I call again on Friday. I am told "It appears your Openreach engineer didn't close off the order when he visited your home. There is nothing you can do until this is closed off. I will transfer you to our "New Provides" team." I speak to "New Provides", who say they can't do anything and don't know why I have been transferred to them, but they will investigate.

Later on Friday, a note is posted to say:
"Thank you for your time on the phone today and for confirming that your fibre installation has gone ahead. Unfortunately our suppliers have not been able to confirm this and another engineer will still be required to attend.

Our suppliers have therefore agreed to expedite this for the earliest available date and as soon as we are able to do so we will then be able arrange a new installation date.

This will ensure that you are able to receive the correct speeds."

[censored]? So, if I understand this correctly, even though I am using Plusnet's fibre service, albeit on a 40/10 profile, nobody can confirm this, and nobody can do anything about my profile without a second Openreach visit? Moreover, Plusnet have known since the second time I called them that the Openreach engineer did not "close off" the order, and appear to have known that this would prevent me going on to the right profile, yet they purported to have dealt with the problem after becoming aware of this.

This is ridiculous, and it is very inconvenient to have to take time off work for a second engineer visit.

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:37:48
Print Post

Re: Bewildered by installation problems

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

I can't help directly, but I have posted over on the Community forum asking for a rep to have a look here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Jan-13 12:38:07)

Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-13 12:57:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by sallust:
In early January, I signed up for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) and took their phone line also.

An Openreach guy turned up one Friday evening to do the installation. He reported that my speeds seemed to be capped at 40 Megabits, but told me I should be delighted anyway, and wouldn't notice the difference between this speed and anything I might get on 80/20.

Knowing as I did of the recent problems with Plusnet new fibre installations, I was not overly concerned. I tried to put in a call to tech support that Friday evening, but found that I just kept getting cut off while in the queue.

Oh well, I figured there were staffing problems due to bad weather. I called back early on Saturday morning, and explained the issue. No worries, the tech guy knew about the issue, confirmed my IP profile was 40/10, and promised to put me on a list of customers who would be sorted out by Openreach on the following Monday.

This did not happen, so I called again on Tuesday evening. "Sorry Sir, we will now put you on a "Personal Action" list or something, and your problem will be dealt with tomorrow. A note is placed on my account saying:

"As the order with BTW is still committed this requires to be complete before being provisioned the 80/20.". A similar note is placed on a second ticket, explaining that my phone line transfer can not go ahead either until the order for fibre is completed.

The next day, I received an email to say my problem had been dealt with by Plusnet, who had changed my profile to 80/20. A note says: "I have had a member of our Provisioning team change the profile to receive the 80/20 speeds."

Er, no difference. So on Thursday first thing I add a comment to my ticket on the support page to say this hadn't worked. I hear nothing, so I call again on Friday. I am told "It appears your Openreach engineer didn't close off the order when he visited your home. There is nothing you can do until this is closed off. I will transfer you to our "New Provides" team." I speak to "New Provides", who say they can't do anything and don't know why I have been transferred to them, but they will investigate.

Later on Friday, a note is posted to say:
"Thank you for your time on the phone today and for confirming that your fibre installation has gone ahead. Unfortunately our suppliers have not been able to confirm this and another engineer will still be required to attend.

Our suppliers have therefore agreed to expedite this for the earliest available date and as soon as we are able to do so we will then be able arrange a new installation date.

This will ensure that you are able to receive the correct speeds."

[censored]? So, if I understand this correctly, even though I am using Plusnet's fibre service, albeit on a 40/10 profile, nobody can confirm this, and nobody can do anything about my profile without a second Openreach visit? Moreover, Plusnet have known since the second time I called them that the Openreach engineer did not "close off" the order, and appear to have known that this would prevent me going on to the right profile, yet they purported to have dealt with the problem after becoming aware of this.

This is ridiculous, and it is very inconvenient to have to take time off work for a second engineer visit.

Putting me right off moving to plus net with all these horror stories coming long not being placed on the right package first off, about time they got it sorted out.

eclipse internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:33:09
Print Post

[re: nuke_me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nuke_me:
Putting me right off moving to plus net with all these horror stories coming long not being placed on the right package first off, about time they got it sorted out.

I must say my migration of FTTC service was a bit of a struggle:-

Wanted the phone side of transfer to happen later than Jan 24th, so on Dec 21st
I asked a question via the sales portal.

Received a phone call from a PN sales rep the same day. Answered my question.
At that point I was quite happy to have put the phone down, and gone on line to place the order, (I so wish I had) but Mr PN salesman insisted he could take the details over the phone. Which he did.

However, a week later I get a letter asking for my MAC code, which I'd given to Mr Salesman, and he'd read it back to me on sign up.

Then I get an invoice for the first month's service, except the broadband sub was 19:99, instead of 9.99 (for first six months) and a 50 quid install charge, which I was told at sign up would be waived, because I was taking the phone package too (and this was an FTTC migration anyway) In the course of those enquires I then discover, (despite requesting at sign up) the one year advance rental scheme was not present, because that has to be applied at sign up. Urggggh !! There's a hole in my bucket !!!

It now seems that I can't apply for that until my phone service is active, so I lose one month's discount. At this stage of the game I can't be bothered to pursue.

The FTTC migration was seamless, no problems with the actual technical side, well almost none, I discovered over the weekend I'm actually on 40/10 profile too, fortunately that's academic, as my line can't support anything over 40 anyway, but nevertheless it would be nice to get that straightened out too !

I'd recommend them, in fact I did to a friend in Sheffield, he was activated on Friday, only problem there is the router was sent out too late, and he's still yet to receive it, (not that the weather up there has helped) but why not send out the routers much earlier, like, at sign up ?
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:56:33
Print Post

Really sorry to hear about that, I'd like to step in and take care of this issue for you.

Would you mind dropping me a private message with your username or perhaps a query ID?

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:22:39
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Sound like they have sub-standed sales team, i thought what i could piece together from this forum only the web ordering puts you on the wrong FTTC package, now your saying also the PN sales rep also made the same mistake. Bad, very bad.

eclipse internet

Edited by nuke_me (Mon 28-Jan-13 14:24:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:43:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by nuke_me:
It is sorted for new orders. Unfortunately the bug was in the ordering system and those ordered before the fix have already gone out to Openreach. To change them would mean cancelling the order on Openreach and re-ordering, which would delay the installation, probably by weeks.

Plusnet are supposed to be picking up the affected ones in bulk, (that I imagine is not easy), but if anyone raises this as soon as they find they are on the wrong package Plusnet move to fix it rapidly.

As you can see by Adam's post.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:56
Print Post

I agree, nuke_me. Not good at all frown. Made a complete hash of it, not just the FTTC side.

Standard User sallust
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:07:15
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

PM sent ...

Standard User sallust
(newbie) Wed 30-Jan-13 16:20:10
Print Post

Ok, I am now seriously questioning Plusnet's and/or BT's organisation. This afternoon, a second Openreach contractor turned up unannounced (i.e. I was given no warning whatsoever that he would come) and said that he had come to upgrade me "from copper to fibre". He told me I had an old modem. Luckily, I was at home.

When I explained the situation, he claimed that I was in a 40/10 area, and that nobody in my postcode could get 80/20. Then he started asking me why I needed such fast speeds, did I watch a lot of "movies" and so on.

I just told him we should agree to differ, and asked him if he would just close off the order.

Tearing my hair out! No word from Adam either, even though I pm'ed him with my details.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to