User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:27:15
Print Post

do Plusnet block P2P on FTTC..?

[link to this post]

My friend is toying with FTTC with Talk Talk or Plusnet, we know that TT block P2P during peak hours but there are ways to partialy circumvent that, do plusnet block P2P and if so can it be bypassed with encryption and changing ports to 21 or 443..?

thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech & Broadband Chat
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:29:24
Print Post

Re: do Plusnet block P2P on FTTC..?

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

It's not blocked on our network. It also has no rate limits if you go for Unlimited so will run as fast as the line and the seeds allow.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:41:41
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Hi Chris...

thanks for your reply... smile

you mention on 'your network' it doesnt, so do plusnet employ partial P2P blocks like Virgin Cable... I.E. if Network Load becomes high in a given area then P2P blocks kick in until it stops?

I read that Plusnet do use P2P blocks but if i recall the thread was something 5 years old or summit, things change!

my friends exchange is only connected to about 4000 premises so not a real 'busy' exchange...

thanks again

Tech & Broadband Chat

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by paulb100:
you mention on 'your network' it doesnt, so do plusnet employ partial P2P blocks like Virgin Cable... I.E. if Network Load becomes high in a given area then P2P blocks kick in until it stops?
In reply to a post by chrisparr:
It's not blocked on our network. It also has no rate limits if you go for Unlimited so will run as fast as the line and the seeds allow.

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 28-Jan-13 14:46:01)

Standard User paulb100
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:54:10
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
In reply to a post by chrisparr:

I know thats what he said, but as he referred to the network he is on I wondered if they employ it in other 'areas' - Virgin Cable employ such tactics, one area can download bit-torrent as fast as possible and other areas can use it at all...

a lot of ISPs advertise as Unlimited but employ P2P blocks - two entirely different things

smile

Tech & Broadband Chat
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:56:40
Print Post

I think by "our network" plusnet mean their whole network. At no point do plusnet block P2P.
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:56:46
Print Post

He was talking about the PN network generally smile

No blocking, no rate limits on P2P, Usenet etc

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 28-Jan-13 14:59:16
Print Post

a lot of ISPs advertise as Unlimited but employ P2P blocks - two entirely different things

We don't block or rate limit P2P on our products/network if you choose the Unlimited service. If I'm misinterpreting your question please let me know.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:08:34
Print Post

I read that Plusnet do use P2P blocks but if i recall the thread was something 5 years old or summit, things change!
Up till 19 December 2012 there were P2P restrictions on FTTC. Those used to be quite wide-spread across the 24 hours, but earlier in 2012 when the 250GB allowance package was introduced they only applied between 8pm and 10pm.

I think that step was just a sort of test for the truly unlimited product that replaced it on 19 December.

As has been said by several, including two reps, there is no speed limiting on anything if you are on the Unlimited package. A small amount on the 40GB allowance 40/10 package. More details on this page if you'd like it from the website rather than rep posts tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User paulb100
(regular) Mon 28-Jan-13 15:25:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ok thanks for that - just wanting to be clear on it thats all. smile

another question, do Plusnet suffer any congestion at all.... like Sky are at the moment..lol.. lucky for me Im not affected being a sky user....yet!

its nice to know there is another truly unlimited service other than BE* and Sky... should things go south for me at Sky at least I can consider Plusnet.

oh and do I need to be WBC Enabled to get plusnet? or do plusnet use BT's network anyway?

thanks smile

Tech & Broadband Chat
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to