User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User snoz
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 14:04:29
Print Post

Fastpath/ interleaving options on fibre ?

[link to this post]

Hi

As far as aware VDSL2 has the same options for interleaving as adsl as I've just ordered plunet fibre unlimited I was just wondering if plusnet give the option to turn it on and off or change the levels of it to improve ping, I'm a fairly keen online gamer and like to have a nice low ping.

Thanks
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-13 14:39:41
Print Post

Re: Fastpath/ interleaving options on fibre ?

[re: snoz] [link to this post]

Fastpath/interleave is controlled by DLM ISP'S have very little control I think there are 3 settings available, And i would suspect that many ISP's in particular those mass market ones won'y even be aware of these
but non will totally override what DLM has implemented , Apparently when first connected you will be on fastpath by defualt,and may stay like this, unless DLM meddles with things

A chance that i don't feel i could personally take not with 18-24 mth contract term

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 29-Jan-13 14:44:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 14:45:44
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
A chance that i don't feel i could personally take not with 18-24 mth contract term
Which simply means you can't have FTTC tommy tongue. Even if it's interleaved latency and lack of jitter is better than your ADSL2+ one.

24-month terms? Where? I've seen one somewhere, but it was a no-no site anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 29-Jan-13 14:47:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 14:51:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
24-month terms? Where? I've seen one somewhere, but it was a no-no site anyway.
Zen FTTC is 24 months if you want free installation and a free router. If you pay for installation and provide or pay for your own router, you can have 12 months minimum term.

Standard User snoz
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:18:17
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

My dsl ping first hop is 12ms. I expect even lower from FTTC on fastpath. BE there for example let you turn it on and off via their website. They even let you edit your SNR I get 20mbit 2mbit on my line even though im over 1km from exchange and my snr is 2 ( normal target is 6) and it is rock solid.

I'm not expecting the same from plusnet and tbh this is why i did not even consider any bt wholesale ISP but seeing as its unlimited and unthrottled i decided to try.

As far as im aware talk talk and sky theonly 2 LLU operators offering fibre also require a long contract.

compuserve>Pipex>Plusnet>Nildram>UKonline>BeThere>Plusnet fibre unlimited

Edited by snoz (Tue 29-Jan-13 15:27:20)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:25:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by snoz:
As far as im aware talk talk and sky theonly 2 LLU operators offering fibre also require a long contract.

Plusnet and Talktalk 18 months, Sky 12 months.

Oliver.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:39:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

With Eclipse Home Fibre a 24 month contract seems to be required for Free Setup.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:44:30
Print Post

BT Openreach don't allow Customer Parties to choose the interleaving option on FTTC - if DLM thinks you need interleaving, it turns it on, otherwise you remain on fast path. The general view here is that the FTTC DLM works fairly well, though it can be stubborn in holding on to unnecessary limits after a fault has been fixed. In some cases, an engineer has to be sent to get banding removed.

There are three DLM options which trade speed against stability. I haven't quite remembered the official names correctly, but they're something like performance, stable and super stable. This choice is the only control Customer Parties have over an FTTC connection.

Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:46:29
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

When I first connected to Talktalk fttc my ping to bbc.co.uk was sub 15ms, now its 30ms! DLM must have had a field day with my line - its around 400m in length.

I haven't even asked talktalk about it as I suspect there is nothing they can do.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Jan-13 15:51:55
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
With Eclipse Home Fibre a 24 month contract seems to be required for Free Setup.
That may have been the one, but I'm not sure. It's still a no-no!

Standard is 40/2 with 10GBpm. Ludicrous prices for consumer level, £5pm to get 40/10, and no mention of 80/20.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to