User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Wed 30-Jan-13 09:18:12
Print Post

Usage Allowance Breakdown

[link to this post]

Back with Plusnet, and so far reasonably happy with it
One thing that is puzzling to me is the usage stats
For instance, i've just started a new months allowance a few days ago. The one part that makes no sense to me is the fact that, according to Plusnet, 24% of my total usage allowance is for........broadband phonecalls, with a breakdown of 3% during peaktime, and 21% overnight usage.
Here's the thing, though. I've never used broadband to make any phonecalls, and certainly not between the hours of Midnight to 8AM !!!!
Anyone any clues as to what this could be?

Purdey
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Jan-13 09:39:17
Print Post

Re: Usage Allowance Breakdown

[re: Purdy] [link to this post]

It just means that some other traffic was wrongly identified. It's not uncommon for something like P2P to try to make their traffic look like something else to get round traffic management.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Jan-13 12:16:13
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Looks like it succeeded!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:38:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

It looks like jelv has answered your query, it sometimes happens where the traffic is wrongly identified but the amount of usage will still be correct.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Thu 31-Jan-13 18:32:21
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
It just means that some other traffic was wrongly identified. It's not uncommon for something like P2P to try to make their traffic look like something else to get round traffic management.

Well, as i didnt do any torrenting (is that even a word, i wonder? ) i can only put it down to my downloading/uploading (NOT streaming) Youtube stuff
But the strange thing about it is/was that this only started on the first day of a new allowance cycle, and i havent changed my habits.

Purdy
  Print Thread

Jump to