User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Thu 31-Jan-13 11:23:42
Print Post

Getting out of contract

[link to this post]

I have recently signed up for Unlimited Fibre, very happy with the service but I have just been having a look at my account.

I expected to have to pay the £19.99 for 18 months no matter what but I have a deferred £103.50 on cancellation fee listed and on investigation that is £5.75 per month early termination charge. Is that what I would pay if I cancelled now and not an ongoing £19.99 per month.

If that is the case, I think PN need to make that more clear, I deliberated for quite a while because of what I thought was the high cost of getting out of a contract - in the event that something happened where I needed to (i.e. redundancy)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 31-Jan-13 11:42:52
Print Post

Re: Getting out of contract

[re: tallseabird] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tallseabird:
I expected to have to pay the £19.99 for 18 months no matter what but I have a deferred £103.50 on cancellation fee listed and on investigation that is £5.75 per month early termination charge. Is that what I would pay if I cancelled now and not an ongoing £19.99 per month.
Yes. If I see anyone asking about Plusnet FTTC and worrying about the cost or the 18 months, I draw their attention to it.

If you left within the first 12 months of the 18, you would also be charged for the "free" router". Possibly, (I'm unsure on this one), the connection charge if that was waived due to taking the Home Phone as well.
If that is the case, I think PN need to make that more clear, I deliberated for quite a while because of what I thought was the high cost of getting out of a contract - in the event that something happened where I needed to (i.e. redundancy)
I agree. It could be a good selling point. Though obviously it wouldn't be wise to headline it, as that would display a lack of confidence in providing a service people would want to stay with.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-13 11:49:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by tallseabird:
Is that what I would pay if I cancelled now and not an ongoing £19.99 per month.
Yes, it's in their Price Guide:
Fibre Early Termination Charges
The Plusnet Fibre service is subject to a minimum period of 18 months. The following monthly early termination charges apply for customers choosing to end their Plusnet Fibre service within the 18 month minimum period.

Table 12
Monthly Early Termination Charge

Plusnet Essentials Fibre £5.25
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre £5.75
Plusnet Value Fibre £4.25 (£4 if you signed up before 14/08/2012)
Plusnet Extra Fibre £5.50
I wouldn't have expected it to appear in your bill until you are actually leaving; I suppose it's just a warning and will reduce as the months go by.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:26:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification

Strictly speaking XRaySpex that is not quite explicit, yes it says there is an early termination charge but it doesn't say that the normal monthly charge won't be as well - I know it wouldn't really make sense but what does that count for nowadays

Thanks again
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:00:30
Print Post

That would be unfair contract terms and against OFCOM's interpretation:
Early termination charges
Communications providers have obligations to meet under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

Ofcom’s interpretation of the Regulations is that consumers who end contracts early should never have to pay more than the payments left under the contract – in fact they should often pay less, to reflect the costs providers save because the contract ends early.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(member) Thu 31-Jan-13 16:22:59
Print Post

Thanks, that is excellent!

Absolutely no doubt now.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jan-13 17:03:07
Print Post

Just Testing my AV *DELETED*