User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User okanee
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 17:18:27
Print Post

"Easy Setup" activation issues

[link to this post]

Just had a Fibre modem installation and hooked up the PlusNet Technicolor router for auto provisioning / activation via TR-69.

However, there is a red light on the router and the service appears to not have self-activated. Shouldn't this have happened automatically after sync?

Any advice appreciated - thanks.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 17:22:46
Print Post

Re: "Easy Setup" activation issues

[re: okanee] [link to this post]

it can be quite slow, and can fail. TR-069 isn't failproof. Give it a while and then report it.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Feb-13 17:23:34
Print Post

should happen within 15 minutes - if it doesn't you could do it manually

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User okanee
(learned) Mon 04-Feb-13 17:51:53
Print Post

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've just found out that the phones which were working fine post install - have just stopped; lines are now dead.

Assume I have to go through PlusNet to get Openreach help here - or should go direct to Openreach?
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-13 18:11:36
Print Post

Report it to your phone supplier - assuming PlusNet from your OP.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 18:14:52
Print Post

Is the phone line being transferred to PN as well as the broadband/FTTC? If so, who was it with before?

Is there a possiibility they placed a PSTN cease on the line? This can happen if they are told to cancel or cease a contract - something they should never be told prior to a move.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User okanee
(learned) Mon 04-Feb-13 18:26:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had requested Phone service from PN as well, and had asked that few days after the Fibre order was placed.

I was told me it would be a couple of weeks after the Fibre before the phone switchover would happen.

Ironically after holding with BT for about 15 mins, I decided to try calling the home phone again and its ok again - though the folks there say it is very noisy on their end. There are possibly a few ADSL filters still in place on Sky box, phones etc which I believe should ideally be removed according to Openreach Engineer.

I also called PlusNet who had referred me to BT for any line issues. They also told me it could take up to 24 hours for the broadband to be activated - is this normal? I was under the impression the account would be active the day of install and once the Fibre modem was installed it should be active fairly quickly afterwards.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Feb-13 19:10:52
Print Post

Existing filters shouldn't be needed, but neither should they cause any problems. They may even be necessary for some Sky boxes.

I would have thought the broadband should be live at the Plusnet end on install day.

I assume so far as you know the users have connected the router correctly to the modem? With the red-coded ethernet cable between LAN1 of the modem and the red LAN socket of the router?

Which red light is on, and has any turning off and on been done?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User okanee
(learned) Mon 04-Feb-13 20:49:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK - yes, that's what I had thought regarding active service timeframe. I've called PN a few times now and they still see the Openreach status as "Pending" so they can't activate the account until this moves to "Completed" etc. So they're saying that manual configuration will not help as the account will probably be blocked until activated.

I will check the cabling aspect - though I left the "red" socket plugged in at the Technicolor side, while I believe the Engineer cabled other end to LAN1 on fibre modem. I'm told the Engineer was very helpful at the premises and even tried the PC to see if everything was online - so I'd be confident he cabled correctly.

Haven't done any resetting etc on router as yet - but was going to try factory reset when account is confirmed active to initiate a TR-69 session.

Regarding filters, for now I'd told a friend at location to take them off - sky boxes included.
  Print Thread

Jump to