User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-13 18:12:47
Print Post

Do plusnet plan to offer a 12mth min term on Fibre products?

[link to this post]

From reading a few posts on another forum regarding BT's Fibre products FTTC

They have been offering a shorter contract lenght of 12mths if customers re started their contracts , this 12mths min term is starting to be offered to new customers too,
and there are also reports of BT price matching plusnet deals

If these claims are true surely plusnet will start offering a shorter 12mth min term too
As they unlike BT retail also do charge a £50.00 install fee unless customers also pay line rental as well , Which is something that many would wish to do,due to possibly already paid upfront or are getting a better deal elseware
A 12mths contract with the £50 fee would be tempting , or 18mths and free install and free static ip, They could also either sell the routers instead of giving them away, or leave it up to the customer to supply their own router

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 08-Feb-13 18:16:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Feb-13 19:40:54
Print Post

Re: Do plusnet plan to offer a 12mth min term on Fibre produ

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
As they unlike BT retail also do charge a £50.00 install fee unless customers also pay line rental as well , Which is something that many would wish to do,due to possibly already paid upfront or are getting a better deal elseware
You seem to have that a bit mixed up Tommy. Both in terms of comparing the two companies, and in what you yourself think people might wish to do.

1) BT Retail insist on users having line and call rental with them. So Plusnet are more prospective-customer friendly in offering a non-phone rental broadband product on payment of a one-off £50.

2) It seems unlikely people would wish to take a Plusnet broadband and line rental bundle if they are in the middle of a paid-for year elsewhere, or on a monthly better deal elsewhere.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Feb-13 20:16:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Which is something that many would ^not^ wish to do,due to possibly already paid upfront or are getting a better deal elsewhere
Obviously Tommy typo-ed?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Feb-13 20:38:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Whatever - his premise is flawed anyway. As explained.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-13 20:55:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Whatever - his premise is flawed anyway. As explained.
But a 18 mth min term and a one off install fee £50.00 doesn't sound as attractive as BT retails offering of same price no install (as like many already pay bt line rental) and now a 12mth contract, personally i think anything over 12mths for consumer grade BB is excessive and shouldn't be allowed ,

I like others I'm sure would be prepared to pay the full £100.00 install fee in return for a monthly contract, why won't any isp provide this, they all use the install fee that they are charged by openreach as an excuse for the longer contracts,

But if the customer wants to pay this upfront it costs the isp nothing , And openreach could to be more flexible as well,

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 08-Feb-13 21:10:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Feb-13 21:13:19
Print Post

It isn't just the install fee. The ISP has to contract with Openreach for the full 12 months.

If Openreach were to be more flexible with that, their install fee would have to rise considerably. In which case the ISP install fee would have to rise to match it. That could make free installs (linked to line and call rental) a thing of the past.

You are suggesting changes without considering other aspects such as those.

Anyway, you seem to be saying BT FTTx is now a 12-month term. Well it isn't.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Feb-13 22:05:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It isn't just the install fee. The ISP has to contract with Openreach for the full 12 months.

If Openreach were to be more flexible with that, their install fee would have to rise considerably. In which case the ISP install fee would have to rise to match it. That could make free installs (linked to line and call rental) a thing of the past.

You are suggesting changes without considering other aspects such as those.

Anyway, you seem to be saying BT FTTx is now a 12-month term. Well it isn't.
I'm merely relaying what i read about BT retail offering a 12mth contract on FTTx to new customers instead of 18mths see for yourself here And yes i am aware that Openreach require the isp to agree to pay for a min term of 12mths per each connection on FTTx products , but FTTC has been around for a few years now for some, & how much in comparison to the install fees , are openreach going to make out of rental charges to isp's ?

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Feb-13 05:19:19
Print Post

they wont supply it due to the openreach anti competitive 12 month contracts, aaisp have complained about it, I have also, I wouldnt be surprised if other isps (who offer monthly on adsl) have also complained. Second for some unknown reason even tho there is no extra inherent cost FTTC migrations are 5x the price of ADSL migrations as well on BTw. Both these factors combined have got the retail market in its current inflexible state.

AAISP are seemingly offering 6 month deals if I understand their website correctly.

I am somewhat shocked some people have no issue with lengthy 12/18 month contracts.

Whether or not ofcom will act in future no idea, the only hope is they there to enforce competition and if people cant freely jump between isp's from month to month then arguably thats anti competitive.

On BT the 12 month deals I am aware off are only for recontracting. Although one can sign up for 18 months with fully free install, then 1 month later recontract for 12 months, it seems there is no procedure to block that (as I did it). You do lose the 3 month discount but remember that 2 of those 3 months are paid on first month so in reality you only lose the 3rd month.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 09-Feb-13 05:19:48)

Print Thread

Jump to