User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User snoz
(experienced) Fri 08-Feb-13 21:59:55
Print Post

Installed today, very good experience.

[link to this post]

Thought I'd share how it went.

Switched to plus net fibre unlimited from be there adsl 2 +. The engineer was booked in for between 1pm-6pm and I got a call around 1.30 telling me he was working on my cabinet and will phone me back in 20-30 minutes to say hes on the way over.

He called after about 15 and arrived at my door about 5 minute later. I had moved my pc desk away from the master socket to give him access so he came in and got right down to it, his work on the master socket took maybe 10 minutes replacing my old socket with the new vdsl master socket. Then he preceded to carry out some checks with his handheld device,

I asked him what my line stats were like and he showed me, it read sync speed 80mbit down 20mbit up max sync 89000/39000 my snr was 8.5 and line attenuation was 9. Pretty good stats , I knew Ihad a pretty good line anyway as im 1.5km from exchange and had 19ish mbit and 2mbit upload on adsl 2 +

He told me I'm about 500m from the cabinet. He was here for I'd say a maximum of 30 mins then left, very nice guy ex navy and into his rugby. I plugged the plusnet router in left it a while and made a cuppa team came back and tried going online, all worked right off the bat.

Tried out Usenet and got stable download rate of 8.6mb/s checked out my uploaded and is about 2mb/s, very pleased . Did some ping tests and Im pinging 13ms to BBC , so lucky I got a fast-path profile.

Only grip I have is you can't see your line stats and ofcourse you cant edit any settings. I've been looking at hacking the firmware on the open-reach modem or getting a Chinese replacement.
Will post another thread about that.

Overall very satisfied !

compuserve>Pipex>Plusnet>Nildram>UKonline>BeThere>Plusnet fibre unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Feb-13 09:42:20
Print Post

Re: Installed today, very good experience.

[re: snoz] [link to this post]

smile
(Is it an HG612 or an ECI modem?)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Dr_Dave
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 18:48:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep, that pretty much reflects my installation too. Seamless!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User snoz
(experienced) Sun 10-Feb-13 00:38:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Eci modem frown dont fancy jtagging it smile I might buy a hg622 modem off ebay.

compuserve>Pipex>Plusnet>Nildram>UKonline>BeThere>Plusnet fibre unlimited
Standard User timl
(member) Mon 11-Feb-13 10:42:52
Print Post

[re: snoz] [link to this post]

I'm connected to an ECI cab and modem and bought a HG612 from Ebay.

The HG612 performed flawlessly and I logged stats for about 2 days - but I noticed that my pings increased by about 1 or 2ms so switched back to using the ECI fulltime. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to