User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 16:55:47
Print Post

Technicolor TG582n

[link to this post]

Just had my Plusnet broadband enabled a few days ago and I am using the Technicolor TG582n router. It is showing up as a media renderer on my network and the web site shows a USB port on it, however there is no port on this Plusnet version. Is it still there behind the plastic casing ? would be great if I could connect my external HD to it.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 09-Feb-13 18:29:06
Print Post

Re: Technicolor TG582n

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Doubt it.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4184254-d...

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User tthom
(regular) Sat 09-Feb-13 18:48:22
Print Post

Weird that becuase my one from BE has a usb port

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 18:48:32
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks. That's a shame, a USB port would have been useful. I guess it was removed to save money.
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 18:50:53
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

The router shows up on my PS3 as a media server with folders I can browse so I had hoped that there was a USB port hidden, but I can see no reason for it to be there but not accessible.
Standard User Dr_Dave
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-13 19:02:27
Print Post

My PN TG582N has a USB port on the side of it and you can fit any suitably formatted (FAT32) drive to it - but that renders it pretty much useless for me as nearly everything I've got is NTFS.
Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Sat 09-Feb-13 19:38:38
Print Post

Silly question, but you have looked at the side of router? Mine has a USB port on the left hand side, towards the rear.

If PN are now supplying a version without, I'd expect them to disable the media server functionality as what's the point of it if you can't supply media to serve!
Standard User Bright
(member) Sat 09-Feb-13 21:27:58
Print Post

The TG582n that was supplied to me a few weeks ago for FTTC has a USB port on the left side (as you look at the front). Not checked whether it works for serving media, as I use it as a paperweight rather than as a router - I find it fulfils that function much more effectively wink

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
(newbie) Sun 10-Feb-13 00:36:20
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Yeah I have checked all sides of the router and definitely no USB port. There are just ventilation holes where it should be on the left side. I am tempted to open it up to see if there is still a port inside but I doubt that. Currently use my PC to stream to my PS3 so would have been nice to have the USB port and plug in my external hard drive. Guess I will have to buy a decent router for that.
Standard User arobertson545
(regular) Sun 10-Feb-13 12:41:39
Print Post

The FTTC version of the TG582N has a USB port on Plusnet. However, the ADSL version does not. I have no idea why they did this but there you go.

I hope I answered your question smile.

ZeN

Edited by arobertson545 (Sun 10-Feb-13 12:51:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to