User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Feb-13 22:15:28
Print Post

Thinking of leaving O2 for Plusnet Unlimited

[link to this post]

I've been with O2 for 3 years, but am leaving due to desperately slow speeds in evenings. I sync at 8.5Meg and speed tests in daytime give 7.3/4 downloads, but in the evenings it slows to 1-2Meg and it's difficult/impossible to even watch iplayer.

I don't want to go to FTTC, even though my exchange (Droitwich) was very early enabled as it would mean extra cabling in my house which I don't want.

I'm looking at the £9.99 per month unlimited ADSL2 package. Does it do what it says on the tin? I've been on LLU for years and years (with various ISP's) so I've not had to suffer BT's BRAS profiles - how do things run with Plusnet?

I don't do P2P so no huge volumes, but don't want to have to worry about usages when streaming TV etc, so that's why I go for unlimited.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Feb-13 10:32:42
Print Post

Re: Thinking of leaving O2 for Plusnet Unlimited

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

You look to have lots of options:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMDRO

I suspect its the O2 network that is not working for you when it is busy at night

ADSL: You can go to 3rd party providers, like vivaciti.co.uk or as you said to plusnet. Look at the resellers section of this board to see the players. Just make sure the service is not supplied via the O2 networks and you should be fine.

FTTC: Again the core players are all open to you (BT, TalkTalk, SKY, Plusnet etc) You could also again use the 3rd party providers mentioned above, as most now have a FTTC option. When I took out FTTC, I did not move the master socket, but rather used Powerline adapters to use the mains cabling as a cable. Just make sure you get the 500M ones if buying new.

I think this is all about price now. Go with the one that is in you price band.

IanD
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Feb-13 10:44:07
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
I suspect its the O2 network that is not working for you when it is busy at night

ADSL: You can go to 3rd party providers, like vivaciti.co.uk or as you said to plusnet. Look at the resellers section of this board to see the players. Just make sure the service is not supplied via the O2 networks and you should be fine.
So far as I know, none of the major O2/Be resellers use the O2/Be network, except perhaps AAISP. Just the exchange DSLAM, with other backhaul.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Feb-13 12:09:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They would still use the backhaul from the exchange until a handover point. This would be somewhere both ISP's have kit and can have an interconnect. So contention at the exchange will affect resellers in the same way as O2 customers.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Feb-13 13:32:26
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
They would still use the backhaul from the exchange until a handover point. This would be somewhere both ISP's have kit and can have an interconnect. So contention at the exchange will affect resellers in the same way as O2 customers.

Firstly, I can confirm we use O2 Wholesale, so I can answer this with clarity.

The details you state above are 100% correct. In the same way BT Wholesale have backhaul from the exchange, this is is also how O2 Wholesale operate, so if an exchange has been picked up as having capacity issues it will have a knock on for all resellers.

However, most exchanges, if not all, have multiple backhaul links, so if we get reports of exchange issues from a customer, we can quickly work with O2 to confirm things and in all cases to date, get the customer moved to a less busy bit of backhaul (ie: different VPs). Again how BT Wholesale operate.

Hopefully this helps everything in this thread.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User haggismn
(learned) Sat 16-Feb-13 13:44:25
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

We switched from O2 to Plusnet and stayed on ADSL2+. To be honest if price wasn't an issue, we would have stayed with O2. Saying that, we never had any slow down in the evenings like you have mentioned. Interleaving wasn't an issue and Annex m was also a nice option.

With Plusnet, if you don't switch off your router or reconnect often (ever, more like), you'll be fine. I do reconnect 2-3 times a day because our router does not work well with Plusnet's PPPoATM system (be aware of that if you use a Netgear DGND3700 router). We were activated 2 weeks ago and we were syncing at 14723Kb/s, now we are on 6653 and steadily decreasing while I test beta firmware for the router.

In the short time we have experienced full line speed with Plusnet so far, there was no problem whatsoever.

Another complex matter is switching your phone number, if you are on O2. It's physically possible to do it, but they wouldn't do it for us. If you have BT line rental, it obviously won't matter.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Feb-13 13:55:19
Print Post

[re: haggismn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by haggismn:
Another complex matter is switching your phone number, if you are on O2. It's physically possible to do it, but they wouldn't do it for us.

Do you mean O2 would not let you keep your number when moving away?

Oliver.
Standard User haggismn
(learned) Sat 16-Feb-13 15:36:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yes, but our move was rather more complex. You are better off calling and finding out for yourself, they might allow you to migrate it.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Feb-13 15:45:41
Print Post

[re: haggismn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by haggismn:
Yes, but our move was rather more complex.

Oh right, this was a house move? I was thinking it was just a billing switch; porting numbers on internal Openreach WLR transfers should never be an issue.

Oliver.
Standard User haggismn
(learned) Sat 16-Feb-13 15:54:45
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

It was a transfer of the o2 account to a different house and switching to Plusnet at the original property. Yes I agree, it shouldn't be an issue, but ask them to be sure. The people I spoke to at O2 weren't sure what would happen (they weren't familiar with the terms WLR and NoT) , in the end they cancelled the line and we got a new number.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to