User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ArthurDent
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 13:30:38
Print Post

Not impressed ...

[link to this post]

Switched to plusnet just a few days ago, having seen so many excellent reports on forums and Which. BB with phone, the unlimited version, but not on fibre. We have a desktop on ethernet (using vista) , a laptop on wireless (using Win8), and an ipad.

Have to say that I'm disappointed. Occasional drop outs, mainly on the wireless devices. Didn't have this prob before. Have been spending too much time talking with plusnet (or waiting to do so) - five calls so far. After carrying out the various plusnet suggestions, we are currently awaiting a replacement tg582n.
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Feb-13 13:56:23
Print Post

Re: Not impressed ...

[re: ArthurDent] [link to this post]

Flagged it up here for you.

Dennis
plusnet Unlimited & talkanytime
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Feb-13 13:56:57
Print Post

IME, the TG582n is useless. I've binned it - the ADSL sync was good, but no devices could connect wirelessly (4 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones) and wired devices that had fixed IP addresses could not be accessed within the LAN side of the network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bright
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:08:05
Print Post

Does everything run OK on your ethernet-connected desktop? You get reasonable speeds on that machine?

If so, then presumably your problems are with the wireless capabilities of the TG582n. If you look through this board and Plusnet's own forum you will find a lot of customers complaining about the wireless performance of this router. It seems to perform OK for some users (including in Plusnet's recent testing of a number of boxes, some of which had been returned by unhappy customers), and not at all well for a lot of other users (including me).

My own theory is that this product does not perform well under difficult radio conditions (multi-path, co-channel and adjacent channel interference).

My own solution was to replace the TG582n with an Asus router, which has the best wifi performance I've yet seen on a domestic product. I'm using the RT-N66U, but I'm on FTTC. The DSL-N55U is the closest equivalent with a built-in ADSL modem. Not cheap though. Reviewed on TBB here.

So if your problems can be narrowed down to wifi performance, it's worth considering replacing the TG582n with your own router.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:16:42
Print Post

If you have a router that you used with your previous supplier why not use your PlusNet ID / PW with that and switch to it rather than the plusNet supplied router?

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:16:59
Print Post

Really sorry to hear about this ArthurDent. I'm happy to take the reins for you. Can you give me a ticket ID/username or another means of identifying your account?

Adam

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:24:14
Print Post

would have been handy to have had a more specific subject line - not impressed with wireless on TG...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User ArthurDent
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:02:32
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Because, brightd, plusnet informed me that our homehub (the curvy one) wasn't compatible.
Standard User ArthurDent
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:28:11
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Sadly, I can't say the ethernet has been totally trouble free.

But I'm grateful for thoughts here on the plusnet forum re Asus and Billion. Had hardly expected to cough up £100 for a router. More than any saving against the old bt contract!

Watch this space ...
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Thu 21-Feb-13 01:26:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by ArthurDent:
our homehub (the curvy one) wasn't compatible.

If that's a 2.0 then it will work OK with PlusNet.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to