User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:38:37
Print Post

Service Status mail list being shut down for PN users

[link to this post]

Great amount of notice, guys. (E-Mail sent 19.02.2013 a little after 17:00)

Subject: Important information about servicestatus.net

"As part of this redesign we have taken the decision to decommission the list @ servicestatus.net mailing list.

This means that from 18th February 2013 you will cease to receive status updates and notification of maintenance works from this address.

In order to continue receiving updates you will need to subscribe to the RSS feed on the new website (available from 27th February)."

RSS Feeds may be what you think of as suitable, but e-mail has been around much longer, and works really well (esp to a mail account not held with the firm reporting service issues).

Also, e-mail provides a big archive of PN service issue reports, easily searchable in case one needed it.

Far from impressed with this idea, but guess I will have to live without it.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:51:22
Print Post

Re: Service Status mail list being shut down for PN users

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

I often do not refer to the service status emails unless the system is down. At that point I have access to my local e-mails, but no to the RSS feed. Not a particularly clever solution, I agree.

And I did not get the email notification, strange.

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Edited by brightd (Wed 20-Feb-13 14:53:33)

Standard User timl
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:52:16
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

I agree too. They don't advertise it either which is weird.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 20-Feb-13 17:12:01
Print Post

Just to clarify, this is *not* the Plusnet service status email archive. It's the one from servicestatus.net that we use pay-as-you-host and just-the-name. It's also worth noting that we won't be deleting the previous status messages on there, just archiving them.

Also all the dates should have read the 27th February, sorry for the wrong date (I blame Bob)

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by chrisparr (Wed 20-Feb-13 17:17:04)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 17:58:34
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris.

So From: "Plusnet Service Status Email" <status@servicestatus.plus.com> should continue?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Wed 20-Feb-13 23:11:25
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

I think it could have been worded more clearly then. Here's an extract from the e-mail :-

We're sending you this email because you have an active subscription to the Service Status mailing list at http://servicestatus.net

On the 27th February 2013 we plan on launching a redesigned Service Status website for PAYH and Just The Name customers, details of which you'll find here - http://servicestatus.net/index?id=1001

As part of this redesign we have taken the decision to decommission the list @ servicestatus.net mailing list.

This means that from 18th February 2013 you will cease to receive status updates and notification of maintenance works from this address.

In order to continue receiving updates you will need to subscribe to the RSS feed on the new website (available from 27th February).

We will not be replacing the mailing list service.

If it had said

As part of this redesign we have taken the decision to decommission the mailing list for matters concerning PAYH and "Just The Name".

it would have been more difficult to misinterpret. I took it to mean a decommissioning of the mail list in its entirety, ie for anything related to Plus.Net, too, hence my post.

Glad it's not going. Odd that I got the e-mail, if others didn't, though I had signed up for Metronet updates a long time ago... and possibly used Just-The-Name (but if so, that was a very, very long time ago!)

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 17:11:29
Print Post

Not at all odd that many didn't get the notice. It is a service that was set up for Metronet users so very, very few Plusnet users would know anything about it.

The mailing list that Plusnet users should be using can be signed up to at: http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php

The RSS feed of the same postings is http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
  Print Thread

Jump to