User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User white43
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:48:34
Print Post

Sky LLU to Plusnet Fibre successful

[link to this post]

I had my doubts that this would go smoothly, but I'm happy to report that I was wrong.

This morning my phone line was moved from Sky LLU back to the BT backhaul. Phone line reactivated under Plusnet. Plusnet emailed me to let me know this.

Openreach engineer appeared at 5pm, installed all the kit and the fibre went active around 6pm.

The only annoyance is that I'm getting around 35mb down, rather than the 55mb predicted. Up is 15mb as predicted.

I've read conflicting stories on the whole 'training' issue. Should I report it out that I'm not achieving the predicted speeds?

Anyway - well done Plusnet for a smooth transfer smile

-----
Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky Unlimited
Sky Router
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 21:52:02
Print Post

Re: Sky LLU to Plusnet Fibre successful

[re: white43] [link to this post]

An MPF to WLR/BTw success story. smile

Plusnet may have provisioned you at 40 meg by mistake, they are doing it a lot recently. Best check with them.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 22:02:23
Print Post

Hi smile.

It's good to hear of a smooth SIM transfer smile. A pity there seems to be s slight problem.

There have been a number of "buggy" orders affecting the product actually ordered form Openreach, but your 15Mbps upstream rules that out.

What might have happened is that your Current line speed in your Plusnet Member Centre >> (My Account) >> Connection settings >> Highspeed broadband has been wrongly set to 37 or 40Mbps. If it has, if you turn off your router for a few minutes, then back on, it may trigger an automatic update. That update only happens every few hours though. It isn't instantaneous.

If you also run a BT speed test, then at the end (note the latency figure first), click the Further Diagnostics button, copy and paste the contents of the two text Results boxes to here.

The main thing we are looking for is the IP Profile, but the rest might be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-Feb-13 22:03:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doop
(newbie) Wed 20-Feb-13 22:25:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I think RobertoS was saying that couldn`t be the case as the op is getting 15mb upstream and the 40mb profile only has a 10mb upstream
Standard User white43
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 22:26:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Robertos:

Phone exchange:
DORCHESTER
Estimated line speed:
55Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-01-25 17:41:34
Current line speed:
37 Mb <- Is a reset of the router in order (Plusnet router?)

From BT Site:

Download : 36.52Mb
Upload: 12.08Mb
Latency: 19.75

Further diagnostics:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-76.01 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 76.01 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.08Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Well, that's a bummer. I'm on the right profiles.

-----
Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky > Plusnet
Plusnet Fibre Unlimited

Edited by white43 (Wed 20-Feb-13 22:27:57)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 22:29:31
Print Post

[re: doop] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by doop:
I think RobertoS was saying that couldn`t be the case as the op is getting 15mb upstream and the 40mb profile only has a 10mb upstream

Yes, quite so, I read his post after mine.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 23:11:13
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I was writing mine and your post occurred in the meantime Oliver. If I'd seen yours first I would have worded it differently.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 23:17:34
Print Post

Yes, White43.

The Current line speed on Plusnet should be a fraction below the BT IP Profile. As I surmised, you are on an Openreach 80/20 connection, but the line speed at Plusnet has mistakenly been set to 37Mbps, which is the maximum for a 40Mbps connection.

Your BT figures are perfect - you will get well over the estimated speed once the Plusnet "copy" is correct.

Don't touch the modem, but try rebooting the router. That might cause the Plusnet version to update by some time in the morning. If it hasn't done by noon then ring them and tell them. Don't raise a ticket, as those aren't getting answered for 24 hours or so at the moment.

Or you could post a request in the Community Forums - that might get a quicker response.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-Feb-13 23:19:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Feb-13 23:25:50
Print Post

Ah - but!

I forgot that you only connected today. It is possible that over the next couple of days the BT figure will drop by a few Mbps. You should still get well above the estimate.

But my diagnosis above remains correct, the Plusnet copy is set for a 40Mbps connection. One way or another it will get corrected smile. So do as I suggested.

Standard User white43
(member) Thu 21-Feb-13 03:22:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah OK.

I did do a reboot on the router, but I'll leave it over the next couple of days to see if things pick up. If not, will give Plusnet a buzz on Friday.

Thanks Robertos.

Virgin ADSL > F2S > Enta/ADSL24 > O-Bit/Vivaciti > AAISP > Sky > Plusnet
Plusnet Fibre Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to