User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hotdog1
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 00:01:53
Print Post

Upload speed halved

[link to this post]

I've recently moved to Plusnet from Zen for ADSL2+. With Zen I was consistently getting 9Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload speeds. I'm getting similar download speeds with Plusnet but can't get any higher than 0.4Mb/s upload speeds. I am using the same router as before but have binned the old filters I was using in favour of the new ones Plusnet sent out. Any idea what's happening? Upload speeds are important to me as I work from home seven days a month and need to send large Indesign files to a server.

Thanks everyone!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Feb-13 00:30:37
Print Post

Re: Upload speed halved

[re: Hotdog1] [link to this post]

For some unknown reason, PN defaults the Up sync to the ADSL Max speed of 448K, even on ADSL2+. You then have to request them to remove this cap, by ticket I understand.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Hotdog1
(newbie) Thu 21-Feb-13 00:38:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks a million. I'll get on to them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Thu 21-Feb-13 01:37:15
Print Post

[re: Hotdog1] [link to this post]

Last year they started uncapping uploads, and providing new users with uncapped upstream, but it appears they have done a 180 degree turn on this one and a lot of new users are complaining about it.

It isn't as though there was a valid technical reason for doing so, anyway.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Thu 21-Feb-13 11:55:19
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

We still provision customers on capped, but have an uncapping program in place where they'll get picked up later and uncapped.

Because it's all automated, we've got some code changes to do to make the default provision as uncapped. We are trying to get this piece of work scheduled.

I hope that explains it? Not great, but if people drop us a ticket/message we are always happy to place the order immediately.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Fri 22-Feb-13 02:44:34
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

My apologies - I thought I was seeing posts on the Community Forum from new users who were being provided on uncapped upstream - maybe just wishful thinking...

Glad to see you have it in hand, anyway.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 09:02:23
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

I really cannot believe how long it is taking for this error to be corrected. We were talking about it in September on here (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4159862-upload-speeds-adsl2.html) and it's come up many times before.

To me it shows that Plusnet is really struggling with the demands of the dramatic increase in user numbers and don't have the resources to correct basic stupidity like this.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 09:10:41
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Which shows rather blinkered management. If they fix one bug in the ordering system, they stop every new-customer complaint about this this, therefore releasing the mantime taken up handling the communication and the individual line fix. crazy

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Feb-13 10:34:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I doubt a lot of people would realise that it's just a simple request for an uncap so I wonder how many customers they have lost because other ISPs offer faster uploads?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 13:14:04
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Is the upload on the website?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to