User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hmburg52
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 11:42:28
Print Post

Broadband Speed

[link to this post]

Last September I purchased a new faceplate ( the type where you no longer need filters) and my speed and stats improved considerably to:
bandwidth up/down 1.197 14.634
line att up/down 16.5 30.5
sn margin up/down 5.8 3.5
Approx late December I was disconnected and when I reconnected my speed was set to about 10 rather than 14. My stats from the master test socket are now:
bandwidth up/down 1.187 10.503
line att up/down 15.9 30.5
sn margin up/down 6.0 9.6
There is hardly any difference with the faceplate on and all phones plugged in:
bandwidth up/down 1.211 10.495
line att up/down 15.8 30.5
sn margin up/down 5.9 9.4
It seems to be the SNR that has changed, can I ask Plusnet to reset this? The phoneline in my house a has a long run from the front of the property to the room at the back where the master socket is. Would it help me to pay and have BT move the master to the front of the house where the cable enters the property? I have checked my SNR over 24 hours and there seems to be no change in the evenings.
Found out I will not be able to get fibre (thanks BT ) so really want to get the most out of what I can get! Any help gratefully received.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Feb-13 13:11:36
Print Post

Re: Broadband Speed

[re: hmburg52] [link to this post]

Looks like your downstream sync speed has dropped as a result of the increase in SNRM from 3dB to 9dB for reasons of stability - is the current sync speed of ~10500Kbps inadequate for your needs?

It is possible that the "long" phone line to the master is the cause of the increased SNRM but since you were getting 14634Kbps with a 3dB SNRM (which is OK) before last December it seems unlikely, unless the line has in some way deteriorated or there is a new source of noise nearby.

Can you do a quiet line test (dial 17070) with a corded phone just to check is there is no audible noise on the line?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 25-Feb-13 13:18:43
Print Post

Moving te master might or might not improve thins.

It will not change te attenuation by anything significant - a few extra metres on 2000 or so is negligible.

However, if the internal wiring goes past your fridge freezer, hi-fi, TV, central heating pump, consumer unit, or runs close and in parallel with power cables then there is a good chance that your noise level in being pushed up by local noise. Taking the socket to the point of entry and having the modem there can help eliminate local noise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hmburg52
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 16:30:26
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

no problems there, the line is quiet with no noises at all. Nothing has changed since December.
Standard User hmburg52
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 16:43:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

well, the line has a small junction box under the lounge window where the line comes through the wall. It then goes around the lounge, behind the TV, video etc ( (with power on a 4 way extender), then through another small junction box at the bottom of the stairs. It goes up the side of the stairs to the back room where the master socket is. This has not changed in about 5 years. There are no spurs ( not live anyway ) from the small box in the lounge, just the one feed upstairs.
There is an extension that is wired to the faceplate so as soon as I plug it in its live, this goes back down the same cable ( presumably on a different pair ) via the small box at the bottom of the stairs to the kitchen where there is an extension point. It sounds very complicated but as there is hardly any dfference on figures with or without the faceplate I assume its all ok!
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:39:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by hmburg52:
There is an extension that is wired to the faceplate so as soon as I plug it in its live, this goes back down the same cable ( presumably on a different pair ) via the small box at the bottom of the stairs to the kitchen where there is an extension point. It sounds very complicated but as there is hardly any dfference on figures with or without the faceplate I assume its all ok!

That a mystery - when you first fitted the filtered faceplate things were fine. However both the connectors on the back of the filtered faceplate and the A&B connectors on the NTE5 (test socket) (?) are presumably connected to the same cable using different pairs. The small box at the bottom of the stairs feeds the kitchen extension and that should be filtered voice since its coming from the filtered faceplate. Yet the pair from the small junction box in the lounge feeds unfiltered ADSL to the NTE5 master socket (test socket) via that same small junction box at the bottom of the stairs.

It might be a good idea to run a separate phone cable from the back of the filtered faceplate upstairs directly to the kitchen extension, rather than perhaps using different pairs in the same cable which are going to that junction box at the bottom of the stairs from both the master and the faceplate.

But a BT engineer might be need to do this since you might be interfering with wiring that is feeding the master NTE5, i.e. any disconnections inadvertently made at the junction box at the bottom of the stairs.
Standard User hmburg52
(newbie) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:49:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

gets a bit confusing, sorry! Just to clarify, when the faceplate is unplugged from the test socket I have no phones. When the faceplate is fitted that connects the extension to the kitchen. I have a cordless phone that I plug into the front faceplate in the phone socket on there. I assume that the kitchen extension is wired so it is filtered as I took the filter off when the new faceplate was fitted. Tempting to rip the whole lot out and get BT to start again but can't really afford it on the offchance it will make a diifference. My line att is only 30.5 so should be getting the 14+ speeds I had before.

Edited by hmburg52 (Mon 25-Feb-13 17:51:52)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:56:43
Print Post

Yes I thought that would be the case - just to clarify though: were you using the phone in the kitchen, unfiltered, after you fitted the filtered faceplate upstairs and getting a good sync speed, i.e. prior to December last year?
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Tue 26-Feb-13 09:52:37
Print Post

Hi there,

Can you message me your username and I'll take a look at your line?

Chris

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to