User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timjon
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 16:44:36
Print Post

Migrating in (to FTTC) from Be LLU ADSL - do I need a MAC?

[link to this post]

Hi, today's announcement (Be/O2 being bought by Sky) has motivated me to finally move up to FTTC.

Looking at the signup form on Plusnet's site, there doesn't appear to be a requirement for a MAC code - can I just sign up there, and then cancel Be once my new FTTC connection is up and running? I don't mind paying for the overlap of services, I'm more concerned about keeping a reliable service and I suspect Be will be having a lot of cancellations at the moment - I don't want them cutting me off early or otherwise messing up my line!

Anyone else migrated from an LLU provider like Be onto FTTC? Anything to be wary / careful of?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Mar-13 16:59:54
Print Post

Re: Migrating in (to FTTC) from Be LLU ADSL - do I need a MA

[re: timjon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by timjon:
Hi, today's announcement (Be/O2 being bought by Sky) has motivated me to finally move up to FTTC.

Looking at the signup form on Plusnet's site, there doesn't appear to be a requirement for a MAC code - can I just sign up there, and then cancel Be once my new FTTC connection is up and running? I don't mind paying for the overlap of services, I'm more concerned about keeping a reliable service and I suspect Be will be having a lot of cancellations at the moment - I don't want them cutting me off early or otherwise messing up my line!

Anyone else migrated from an LLU provider like Be onto FTTC? Anything to be wary / careful of?
If you are wanting to also order a new additional telephone line with plusnet then no no MAC code is required due to the fact there is no active xDSL service running on it already,
But if you only want FTTC (Broadband only) then you would still require a MAC code otherwise the existing ADSL service would just continue to be supplied even though you were no longer able to recieve it, and you would of course still be charged by BE for it, Don't forget to also cancel (give be the 30 days notice) when requesting a MAC code, and of course don't forget to return the router (if required ) or it's a £35 fee

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 02-Mar-13 00:06:38)

Standard User timjon
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 17:06:33
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
If you are wanting to also order a new additional telephone line with plusnet then no no MAC code is required due to the fact there is now active xDSL service running on it already,
But if you only want FTTC (Broadband only) then you would still require a MAC code otherwise the existing ADSL service would just continue to be supplied even though you were no longer able to recieve it, and you would of course still be charged by BE for it, Don't forget to also cancel (give be the 30 days notice) when requesting a MAC code, and of course don't forget to return the router (if required ) or it's a £35 fee

Thanks, yep, I understand that (obviously) I'll need to cancel the Be account at some point - I'm not planning on getting a new line. My question was whether I can just go ahead and order Plusnet FTTC and shut down Be later on, or if there's a technical (or other) reason that I would need a MAC code before I could sign up.

Basically - if I sign up to Plusnet FTTC without them knowing I already have LLU ADSL on the line, will it cause problems (aside from breaking the Be connection)? I didn't get far enough into the Plusnet ordering process to see if they were going to ask for a MAC code, but it didn't look like they were.

It's useful to know that the Be service won't work if FTTC is installed, though, I was wondering if I could just have them both, then switch at my convenience!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Mar-13 17:11:55
Print Post

You normally need a MAC to go from Shared LLU to FTTC.

Not using one can create a cease charge once your old provider sees you go, as this is raised by Openreach.

You cannot have both and switch at will, unless you have two different physical phone lines to the property

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timjon
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 17:13:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You normally need a MAC to go from Shared LLU to FTTC.

Not using one can create a cease charge once your old provider sees you go, as this is raised by Openreach.

You cannot have both and switch at will, unless you have two different physical phone lines to the property

Thanks for the clarification - I'll sort out the MAC code now, then!
Standard User Bright
(member) Fri 01-Mar-13 17:18:17
Print Post

So if you want to switch from Be ADSL on your phone line to Plusnet FTTC on the same line you need a MAC code.

There is a place to enter it on the online sign-up form. But you can also place the order with Plusnet and then give them the MAC afterwards (but they won't do anything with the order until they get the MAC).

When you get your MAC from Be, tell them that you are also giving them the 30 days notice at the same time, and you will then owe them 30 days rental from that point. DON'T tell them to cease the service - make it clear you are migrating to another ISP.

I migrated from Be ADSL to Plusnet FTTC in Jan and all went pretty smoothly.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User timjon
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 17:20:05
Print Post

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bright:
So if you want to switch from Be ADSL on your phone line to Plusnet FTTC on the same line you need a MAC code.

There is a place to enter it on the online sign-up form. But you can also place the order with Plusnet and then give them the MAC afterwards (but they won't do anything with the order until they get the MAC).

When you get your MAC from Be, tell them that you are also giving them the 30 days notice at the same time, and you will then owe them 30 days rental from that point. DON'T tell them to cease the service - make it clear you are migrating to another ISP.

I migrated from Be ADSL to Plusnet FTTC in Jan and all went pretty smoothly.

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 22:45:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

and of course don't forget to return the router (if required ) or it's a £35 fee
I doubt Sky are interested in O2/Be routers; they have their own locked ones.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Mar-13 00:04:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Until they migrate customers onto sky's platform, BE and o2 will still require the modem/routers to be returned as they are not given to customers but only loaned , So unless BE or o2 advise differently they will charge for non returned modems

Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 02-Mar-13 09:09:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
and of course don't forget to return the router (if required ) or it's a £35 fee
I doubt Sky are interested in O2/Be routers; they have their own locked ones.

It hasn't stopped me using my own router with Sky though, currently a Billion 8200N. It's not much of a problem with ADSL but with their fibre sevice you need a router that supports "1483MER with DHCP Option 61".
  Print Thread

Jump to