User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eddiebelfast
(member) Sat 02-Mar-13 04:47:33
Print Post

Changing from O2 to ?

[link to this post]

Hi, I am searching around for a replacement ISP and ran a speed test on the Plusnet site.
Currently I am on a Legacy O2, 20 meg unlimited and sync at 14500 kbps and get throughput of 12.500 kbps. The Plusnet speed test shows me getting 75 meg down and 20 meg up. I find this hard to believe as it appears to be a normal line, i.e. not fibre.
Would these speeds be correct?
cheers,
Eddie.
Belfast.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Mar-13 04:58:51
Print Post

Re: Changing from O2 to ?

[re: eddiebelfast] [link to this post]

Yes that s what FTTC is fibre to the cabinet in the street, The last section from the roadside cabinet uses the existing copper wires FTTH is fibre to the home, no copper to worry about, and is capable of higher speeds than FTTC is, But isn't as widely available, and as far as i'm aware is only sold by BT

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 02-Mar-13 05:00:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Mar-13 08:50:49
Print Post

[re: eddiebelfast] [link to this post]

That was not a speedtest as such but a database look up to see what speeds they can offer you.

So while you are on adsl2+ it looks as if the line can also support fttc and the higher speeds that offers.

O2 does not sell any fttc services

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eddiebelfast
(member) Sat 02-Mar-13 08:52:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi tommy45, thanks for the reply and info.
I had realised this was fibre I just didn't know such speeds were available here in N.Ireland.
cheers,
Eddie.
  Print Thread

Jump to