User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jim_diGriz
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 11:37:10
Print Post

BT Basic compatibility

[link to this post]

Hi,
I currently pay BT for my line rental and wish to continue to do so.
I have read that some people on my tariff (BT Basic) could have compatibility problems with some broadband packages offered by ISPs.

I am currently with BE and have been looking around for another ISP, since the recent news about the deal with Sky.

Am I right in thinking that the PlusNet ADSL2 package termed "Unlimited Broadband" should work fine with my BT Basic tariff?

What about the package called "Unlimited Fibre Broadband"?
As it costs about the same as I pay for my current ADSL2 connection I would love to take it, but as it is FTTC would it be compatible with BT Basic?

Many thanks.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 03-Mar-13 12:40:41
Print Post

Re: BT Basic compatibility

[re: Jim_diGriz] [link to this post]

See that later replies.

The situation has changed in recent months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 03-Mar-13 13:07:28)

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Sun 03-Mar-13 12:57:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BTs belief is that if someone is on a low income and receives a subsidy then they should not be spending their money on a broadband service and especially FTTC.

I am surprised that you have an ADSL service on the line as it should have been flagged early on as an incompatible service.

That is completely wrong. Broadband is indeed available to those on BT Basic.

From the BT Basic guide here...

Q. Can I have broadband with BT Basic?

Yes. We recognise the importance of the internet in today’s world and BT Basic has been designed to allow broadband on the line.

You can take any one of the standard BT Total Broadband only options (BT Basic customers aren’t eligible for the combined Broadband and Calls packages). Choose the package that best meets your needs and your budget. If you do take BT broadband, we’ll add this to the BT Basic line rental of £14.85 every three months.

eclipse internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 03-Mar-13 13:06:45
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

That has certainly changed in the past few months.

In mid to late 2012 I know of two cases where they were unable to get Broadband. But that document certainly rules of any FTTC products.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 14:24:34
Print Post

Only if they wanted BTinfinity, as they want you to also take a calling plan But there would be nothing in that PDF to suggest that they could not order a FTTC only product from say Plusnet or one of the many smaller ISP's , Just like they can order any SMPF LLU service

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 03-Mar-13 14:25:34)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Mar-13 14:29:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
That has certainly changed in the past few months.

In mid to late 2012 I know of two cases where they were unable to get Broadband. But that document certainly rules of any FTTC products.

I think BT basic account holders were/are limited to BT broadband only - If I remember rightly, BB availability checks done with other ISP's said that the line was incompatible...
Standard User lt567
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 15:47:55
Print Post

[re: Jim_diGriz] [link to this post]

Not sure if it helps but you could keep paying your line rental to BT, and choose Plusnets broadband only packages. That way you can get the Internet through Plusnet and the line rental through BT.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Mar-13 16:38:41
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

They BT i would imagine would have to be flexible,For some ending up either too sick to work or unemployed isn't through any fault of their own, and if someone has been working , them are more likely to already have broadband with other isp's than BT and possibly FTTC and still be in a contract term, For BT to refuse to help in such situations won't do alot for public relations

The line being on BT basic should not prevent other SMPF BB services running on it
Ican see thwe logic for not allowing a different calls package , But if they will allow their own BB then they shouldn't restric others

Standard User freeKitten
(newbie) Sun 03-Mar-13 16:48:58
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Re tommy45

Why would BT have to be flexible? No other supplier does so. Gas and electricity are more essential than a phone line but there exists no requirement for those utility suppliers to be generous. I see no public relations outcry at poorest consumers being refused cold weather payments or the £130 annual credit. BT Basic is one of the few concessions that is available to the poorest benefits claimants and not just those who tick an additional 'vulnerability' criterion.

I have never heard or seen refusal of BT Basic supply and broadband - all that matters is that you do not receive a calls package from an alternative supplier.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Mar-13 17:18:54
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Just did a check on a BT basic phone line and Plusnet "BB only" does appear to be available - Unlimited Broadband, no contract, £9.99 per month. That's on a Market 2 exchange with no FTTC.

Legal bit: "You'll need a Plusnet or other BT based landline to get our broadband...Broadband with no annual contract: There's a £50 activation charge...etc."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to