User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User urban4691
(member) Sun 03-Mar-13 15:53:57
Print Post

FTTC date

[link to this post]

I'm just about to re-join PlusNet (leaving O2 before Murdoch gets his grubby hands on my line), and I'd like to get Fibre, but their system isn't offering it to me.

I've checked Sam Knows, and it says my exchange is fibre enabled, but according to the BT ADSL checker, my cabinet doesn't go live until 30-Mar-2014. What should I make of all this? smile

-----

O2 home broadband (18.2meg sync) and Vodafone mobile broadband customer.

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Standard User lt567
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 15:56:12
Print Post

Re: FTTC date

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

Yes Indeed it's a case of when Openreach install your nice big green box near you smile, they don't always release the information you need so sometimes you have to sit and wait unfortunately.

A long shot but you could try this:

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Edited by lt567 (Sun 03-Mar-13 15:56:53)

Standard User urban4691
(member) Tue 05-Mar-13 15:23:55
Print Post

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

Excellent, thanks! This is what I got...what does this mean?

Service Type
FTTC

Probability
100%

Speed Increase

Phase
5b

Cabinet
P6

Where cabinets/fibre have been installed orders are being accepted, you can check with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker.

-----

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Mar-13 15:42:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by urban4691:
Where cabinets/fibre have been installed orders are being accepted, you can check with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker.

Have you checked with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User urban4691
(member) Tue 05-Mar-13 17:23:14
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yes, that's why I'm confused, because that's telling me:

Available Products
WBC FTTC

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Up to 38.7

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Up to 6

Downstream Range(Mbps)
--

Availability Date
31-Mar-14

-----

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Mar-13 17:30:43
Print Post

Seems fairly clear to me, all being well, you should get FTTC in a year or so, although I believe the dates are now deliberately pessimistic, not long ago it probably would have said 31-Mar-13 and been moved back three months at a time.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User urban4691
(member) Tue 05-Mar-13 21:20:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

It did indeed say 31-Mar-13, and then jumped to 31-Mar-14. So the first date is going to be missed, what's to say the new date won't also be missed. Basically what I'm saying is that it's pretty meaningless if it just keeps shifting because they haven't done it yet. Better just to put up a sign saying "maybe at some point in the future, maybe soon, maybe in a few years."

Rant over wink

-----

Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 05-Mar-13 21:56:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by urban4691:
It did indeed say 31-Mar-13, and then jumped to 31-Mar-14. So the first date is going to be missed, what's to say the new date won't also be missed.

The new date is the end of the commercial rollout so if it's missed just hope it will be part of the BDUK rollout.
Standard User urban4691
(member) Wed 06-Mar-13 11:17:47
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks, that's interesting. Sorry for the newbie question, but what is the commercial rollout? And what is BDUK and when's that happening?

Weird that this is in London and still hasn't happened, no? (Maybe this is payback because my exchange got ADSL much earlier than most parts of the UK! End of 2002, I seem to remember).

-----

Print Thread

Jump to