User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BP1
(committed) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:22:28
Print Post

Plusnet router advice

[link to this post]

We are looking at having plusnet unlimited broadband at one of our properties and would appreciate some helpful advice. I have been in touch with sales but thought i would also get confirmation here. A few years ago we had a bad experience with sky where everything we wanted was verbally stated as available but only to be told after sign up that certain things were not available on the product.
Our query is as below and all to do with their PN home broadband unlimited package:- The line is new with BT so therefore it is tied down to a 12 month contract. The query relates to only Broadband.
1. Do PN offer this product with Static IP.
2. What router do they offer.
3. Can the PN router be set with firewall rules to intercept dns and force to OpenDns. If not could any one recommend a router.
4. Our cabinet is programmed to be FTTC later on in the year. Will they let us upgrade to FTTC without penalty.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Mar-13 21:21:02
Print Post

Re: Plusnet router advice

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

I will try
Static IP - yes but only on unlimited and with a £5 one off charge
Router - modded TG582n
DNS - you can change to any DNS servers you want but you need to use telnet to do it
Upgrading to fibre will have two major effects - any existing discounts will stop and you will start a new 18 month contract
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 09:43:51
Print Post

I've never seen any suggestion that the TG582 can intercept DNS requests where specific DNS servers have been set on an attached device in an attempt to bypass the router's DNS settings. That sounds like a rather advanced router feature.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Mar-13 09:57:32
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I think all routers I've ever had worked like that, i.e. DNS settings on device override those on the router.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Mar-13 12:50:33
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yes, but OP seems to be asking for something more complex.

Unless all he is asking is whether DNS can be changed in router and he has been told they can.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BP1
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 16:46:55
Print Post

Thanks to everyone that's posted - Really appreciate your advice.
At one of our other properties we have BE broadband with their TG585 V7 router. We have a static IP there and the dns is easily settable to opendns. Within the router we have also setup some firewall rules to block all dns except to OpenDns. The router setup pages especially firewall page is very user friendly. This setup works great. Was hoping to do something similar with the new line possibly with Plusnet.

Thanks

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Mar-13 17:03:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, re-reading jelv's response I I did misunderstand it, sorry.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 18:26:49
Print Post

Re point 3 it sounds like you know what you are talking about smile but for the benefit of others you want to block outgoing traffic on port 53 so that if someone adds their own DNS server to their PC/Device any DNS requests are blocked by the firewall.

Just had a quick look and it looks like you can do this by adding a new firewall security level to which you can add your own additional rules.

DNS is listed as one of the protocols available for new rules so in theory you should be able to do this. You can't add rules using port numbers as far as I can see.

A bit of a faff though to change the routers DNS and the firewall setup also seems to be more complicated than it needs to be.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:03:01
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Re point 3 it sounds like you know what you are talking about smile but for the benefit of others you want to block outgoing traffic on port 53 so that if someone adds their own DNS server to their PC/Device any DNS requests are blocked by the firewall.

Just had a quick look and it looks like you can do this by adding a new firewall security level to which you can add your own additional rules.

DNS is listed as one of the protocols available for new rules so in theory you should be able to do this. You can't add rules using port numbers as far as I can see.

A bit of a faff though to change the routers DNS and the firewall setup also seems to be more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks for that post. Looks like we will be going with PN. We have another trick up our sleeves for the DNS if the PN router becomes to problematic for our setup. Unfortunately it means using another router in our possession which uses DD-WRT firmware. This will have to be plugged into the PN router. Just creates a little clutter having two routers.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-13 08:36:56
Print Post

I'd misunderstood what you wanted - I thought you were asking for the router to intercept and redirect DNS requests to OpenDNS, not to simply block anything to other than OpenDNS.

The firmware on the TG582 is very similar to the TG585 so I'd think it's more than likely you'd be able to do what you want especially as you seem to know what you are doing.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
  Print Thread

Jump to