User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maestro1600
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-13 13:44:35
Print Post

John Lewis broadband port forwarding problem

[link to this post]

I've just subscribed to John Lewis Broadband, which is run by PlusNet, but am having terrible problems getting port forwarding to work. I've had it running fine on my old Demon connection, and as I've done this everal times now, thought it would be a doddle with the nice new Technicolor router provided by JL. Nope, couldn't get it to work, even with the static ip assigned. So I reverted back to my old router used on the demon network,changed the passwords etc to suit JL, and no still can't get it to work. Is there something weird I've missed.
I have raised this issue with customer support, but they have responded that "... it's an advanced network issue" so they can't help.

Any ideas anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Mar-13 13:50:14
Print Post

Re: John Lewis broadband port forwarding problem

[re: maestro1600] [link to this post]

If you are testing from the same lan then that usually wont work, you need to be on a different connection.

Also checked software firewalls, proxies etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:23:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I originally had a system all up and running using demon, with a mini webcam server that I could access from work (to check on the dogs). I then changed to J-L using their provided Technicolor router and a static IP address. Couldn't get forwarding to work, so I dumped the Technicolor router and reverted back to the one I used with Demon, and simply changed the login credentials. Everything else is exactly the same as the original system, same PC's, same web cam etc, etc. No changes to firewalls, software or otherwise, but the J-L system does not allow me to access the web cam (or anything else) from outside the LAN.
I should point out the web, email, ftp all work fine outgoing as usual with both the Technicolor and Demon routers, it's just the incoming paths that I can't get to work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:32:00
Print Post

So if you use the old demon router with the new credentials you have internet access, but the same way of doing port forwarding is not working.

Sounds silly, but you have confirmed that the static ip address you think you have is what you are really seen as over the Internet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bright
(member) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:41:01
Print Post

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for the JL service, but PN has a network-based firewall (as well as the one in the router). For PN customers it's normally off by default, I think. Perhaps JL has opted for a different setting...? If you have access to the same Members Centre as PN accounts, you can set it up in there.

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-13 14:50:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Static IP address is confirmed both by the J-L web site account details page and no-ip.org login.

I had noted that PN have a server-sde firewall in some other posts I came across, but have been unable to find anything similar on the J-L website, accounts, faq or help pages. Certainly there is no way to access/configure it from the J-L website as far as I can see.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Mar-13 15:03:21
Print Post

I had similar problems with the Technicolour router. My issue appeared to be that the router did not like the machines having fixed IP addresses. I replaced it with a Draytek. Thread is here.

One possible way to make it work, is to switch the fixed IP addressing off on the devices, then when they're connected and assigned a DHCP address, assign the device a perpetual IP address (I think it's "always use the same IP address" in the device page on the router).
(newbie) Tue 05-Mar-13 09:21:02
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Yes, thanks, but I'd seen that thread before, tried it, but no joy, which is why I went back to my old belkin router which worked absolutely fine with the Demon service. In your thread, you mentioned moving to a Draytek router, I assume you got it all up and running ok?

Interestingly, I ran a scan of my ports from the office, and it shows that 139 is open (to the belkin router) but no others.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Mar-13 10:48:21
Print Post

Ah, bummer.

Yes, the Draytek works very well. The only thing I've not managed to get working is the Wake-on-LAN, but as the router has this facility in the web interface, it's manageable.
Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Tue 05-Mar-13 15:51:53
Print Post

What DNS setting have you got in the webcam server - if any? If there is an entry, what's it pointing to?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to