User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ManiZ
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-13 20:56:28
Print Post

About to get PlusNet Fibre, which router is recommended?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am about to order PlusNet Fibre and see there are some poor reviews of the supplied Technicolor TG582n router, in particular with regards to its wireless capabilities.

I was wondering which router people recommend for good wireless performance and connectivity with an Openreach Fibre Modem?

I live in a typical 1930s semi and was planning on placing the router in the space under the stairs.

I was looking at the following router models:

Buffalo Airstation Nfiniti

Asus RT-N66U

Asus RT-AC66U

Netgear N900

Billion BiPAC 7800N

Please can people give me their thoughts and or their own recommendations??

I appreciate all replies (even from PlusNet support)

Thanks

ManiZ
Standard User Bright
(member) Mon 04-Mar-13 22:37:51
Print Post

Re: About to get PlusNet Fibre, which router is recommended?

[re: ManiZ] [link to this post]

My vote goes for the Asus RT-N66U. I did the same research and concluded that offered me the best combinations of features I wanted plus performance. Unless you have devices that support 802.11ac I don't see any point in paying extra for the RT-AC66U.

The RT-N66U is top of the chart at smallnetbuilder.com in terms of wireless throughput and gets an excellent review for other aspects too, particularly wireless coverage. You can read their reviews of the Asus models here:
RT-N66U
RT-AC66U

The best things about it for me are:
* excellent wifi coverage - better than any other router I've tried (eg I can stream iPlayer in rooms where I couldn't even log on to wifi with other routers)
* custom firmwares available - the Merlin firmware adds useful extra features to the standard Asus firmware (eg I use OpenVPN for remote access)
* stability - never had to reboot it so far (other than for the usual things, like firmware updates).

Robert

PSS/BT Gold > Compuserve > Dircon > Zen > Be Unlimited > PlusNet Unlimited Fibre
Standard User ManiZ
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 16:49:24
Print Post

Re: About to get PlusNet Fibre, which router is recommended?

[re: Bright] [link to this post]

Thanks for this response, I was swaying towards the Asus Dark Knight router and I think thats the one I will go for.

Thanks

ManIZ

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to